Gazetter of the US
EUFAULA, a handsome post-village of Barbour county, Alabama, on the right bank of the Chattahoochee river, 90 miles E. S. E. from Montgomery. It is finely situated on a bluff which rises about 200 feet above the level of the river. It is the centre of an active and increasing trade. About 20,000 bales of cotton are annually shipped at this place in steamboats. The navigation is usually open from November to June. Eufaula has 4 churches, 25 stores, and several newspaper offices. Population in 1853, 3000.
CLAYTON, a post-village, capital of Barbour county, Alabama, 75 miles S. E. from Montgomery. Population, about 400.
COWEKEE creek, of Barbour county, Alabama, flows into the Chattahoochee, about 10 miles above Eufaula.
COWEKEE, or COWIKEE, a post-office of Barbour county, Alabama.
BARBOUR, a county in the E. S. E. part of Alabama, has an area of 825 square miles. The Chattahoochee river forms the entire E. boundary, and it is also drained by Pea river. The surface is undulating; the soil of the river bottoms is fertile. Cotton and Indian corn are the staples. In 1850 it produced 21,573 bales of cotton; 742,132 bushels of corn; 81,164 of oats, and 5290 hogsheads of sugar, a greater quantity than was raised in any other county of the state. There were 3 tanneries, 10 grist and saw mills, and 5 wheelwright establishments. It contained 35 churches, and 3 newspaper establishments. There were 435 pupils attending public schools, and 240 attending academies and other schools. The county is partly covered by forests of pine. The Chattahoochee river is navigable for steamboats. Capital, Clayton. Population, 23,632, of whom 12,852 were free, and 10,780, slaves.
ALABAMA, one of the Southern States of the American confederacy, is bounded on the N. by Tennessee, E. by Georgia, S. by Florida and the Gulf of Mexico, and W. by Mississippi. It lies between 30ø 10' and 35ø N. latitude, and between 85ø and 88ø 30' W. longitude; being about 330 miles in extreme length from N. to S., and 300 miles in its greatest breadth; including an area of 50,722 square miles, or 32,462,080 acres, only 4,435,614 of which were improved in 1850.
Population.--The number of inhabitants in the state in 1820 was 127,901; 309,527 in 1830; 590,756 in 1840; and 771,671 in 1850; of whom 219,728 were white males, 206,779 white females, 1047 free colored males, 1225 free colored females, and 171,853 male and 171,037 female slaves. There were 73,786 families, occupying 73,070 dwellings. Representative population 634,514. There were 9084 deaths in the year ending June, 1850, or 12 persons in every one thousand. Of the population in 1850, 237,542 only were born within the state; 182,490 in other states; 941 in England; 3639 in Ireland; 584 in Scotland; 67 in Wales; 49 in British America; 1068 in Germany; 503 in France; 787 in other countries, and 1109 whose places of birth were unknown. There were 308 blind, of whom 164 were whites, 3 free colored, and 141 slaves--211 deaf and dumb, of whom 157 were whites, 1 free colored, and 53 slaves. The number of paupers who had received support in the year ending June 1, 1850, was 363, of whom 11 were foreigners.
Counties.--There are in Alabama 52 counties, viz. Autauga, Baldwin, Barbour, Benton, Blount, Bibb, Butler, Chambers, Clarke, Choctaw, Cherokee, Coffee, Conecuh, Coosa, Covington, Dale, Dallas, De Kalb, Fayette, Franklin, Greene, Hancock, Henry, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Lowndes, Lauderdale, Limestone, Macon, Madison, Marion, Marengo, Marshall, Mobile, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Perry, Pickens, Pike, Randolph, Russell, Shelby, St. Clair, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker, Washington, and Wilcox.
Cities and Towns.--Mobile is the commercial metropolis of Alabama, with a population of 20,513; the other principal towns are Montgomery, the capital of the state, population 4955; Huntsville, population, 2863; Tuscaloosa, population above 2000. Florence, population about 1200.
Face of the Country, Mountains, &c.--The Alleghany mountains have their termination in the N. part of Alabama, where they become depressed to little more than elevated hills. The state gradually declines from the north to the Gulf of Mexico; being hilly and broken in the centre, and level for 50 or 60 miles from the coast. All the rivers of any magnitude, except the Tennessee, (which makes a bend into the north part of the state,) descend toward the Gulf of Mexico.
Minerals.--Alabama is rich in mineral treasures, particularly in coal, iron, lime, and marble. Red ochre, lead, (scattered about the state in various parts,) and manganese are also met with. Iron is found extensively in Shelby, Bibb, Jefferson, and Tuscaloosa counties. Bituminous coal of a superior quality abounds. "A vein of this coal is first seen in the bed of the Black Warrior river, near Tuscaloosa, and pursues a N. E. direction till it crosses the Alabama and Coosa rivers at or just above their falls, and thence probably passes into Georgia." (De Bow's Industrial Resources.) There are salt, sulphur, and chalybeate springs in different sections of the state. Gold has been found in St. Clair county, and a mine was worked there for a short time. Beautifully variegated marbles exist near the head of navigation on the rivers, particularly on the Cahawba, and in Talladega county. Some of these marbles are buff-colored, filled with organic remains, some white and crystalline, and some are black. Statuary granite, said to be the best in the United States, and marble of a superior quality, are found in Coosa county: a more particular notice of these, however, will be given under the head of COOSA.
Rivers, Bays, &c.--The principal bays in Alabama are Mobile bay, extending north 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico; Bonesecour
Welcome to Barbour County Alabama If you have additional information please send to
11/26/2011 Last updated
SITE COMPILATION COPYRIGHT 1996-Present Margie Daniels ALL RIGHTS RESERVED