Eufaula Times and News



The Eufaula Times and News, Jan 4, 1900.

Mr. Irwing L. Miller died in Eufaula Dec 29th. He was born in Orangeburg Dist,
S.C. in 1818. He came to Ala in 1838 and located about 20 miles from Eufaula on Cowikee Creek. in 1845 he married
Sophia Furgurson, third dau of Gen John Lingard Hunter, also a native of S.C. After the war he emigrated with a
colony of southern families to Brazil, South America, settling near Rio De Janeiro. He returned to the U.S in 1884 with his wife and little grand- dau, Maude, a daughter of their second son Hayne. His wife died in Eufaula in 1890, and his oldest dau did in Brazil  of the six children surviving, five are living in Brazil. Mrs (Miss) Teresa miller lives in Eufaula.

1907, Thursday, January 17th Mr. John Barefield, age 72, died last Friday (Jan 11th) at his home in Eufaula. He was a brother to the late G. W. Barefield, of this city, and he is survived by his wife and two sons, Charles and Will, the latter lives in Tennessee.


October 16, 1980


Funeral services for James Franklin Greathouse, 67, was held, Wednesday, October 8, at 3:00 PM at the First Assembly of God, Eufaula, with the Rev. Billy Johnson officiating. Burial followed in Epworth Cemetery, Eufaula, with Chapman Funeral Home directing. Mr. Greathouse was born in Barbour County, December 31, 1912, the son of the late John Greathouse and Hattie L. Dixon Greathouse. He died Monday, October 6. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Lola May Dykes Greathouse; a daughter, Miss Dorothy M. Greathouse; three sons, James Edward, Delmar Gene and Billy Foy Greathouse, all of Eufaula; three sisters, Mrs. Dolly B. Pope, Troy, Mrs. Susie Mae Peoples, Daleville, Mrs. Lorene McGowan, San Francisco, Calif; two brothers, Marvie Greathouse, Clayton, and Joe Greathouse, Enterprise.

Tuesday, February 18, 1879
"Mrs. Emma Streater, wife of C. H. Streater, living at Spring Hill, Barbour
County, died Feb 8.  She was born June 27, 1849, the daughter of Jas. M.
Garrett, of Eufaula.  She married her second husband Apr 23, 1878."

Eufaula Times and News

Saturday, August 23, 1879
"The death of Mr. Chris B. Streater, of Spring Hill (Barbour County)
occurred Thursday last."

Eufaula Daily Times Sat., Dec 13, 1890
"Mr. L.M. Burrus and Miss Gena, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jas. H. Brown, were
married recently at the home of the bride's parents in Columbus, Ga."
Enquirer (Ga.) Sun

Comments: That would make this from the Rgt History of the 15th, fit a bit better: " he resided for several years in
Texas, but afterwards, moved to Columbus, Georgia."  Homer

Written by Green Beauchamp, (undated, but about 1874), and published in The
Eufaula Times newspaper.
    The first circuit court for Barbour County, was held at Louisville and
convened on the 4th Monday (25th) in March 1833, Hon. Anderson Crenshaw,
judge of the sixth judicial circuit, presiding.  Harrell Hobdy was sheriff,
and most probably Thomas Pugh clerk.  The grand jury was composed of Henry
Faulk Jr., foreman; Noah Tyson, William Bennett, Richard Head Jr., Zackariah
Buch, William McRae, James Faulk, Henry Faulk Sr., William Head, Thomas
Cavanaugh, John F. David, Starling Johnson, Miles McInnis, Daniel M. Dansby,
Duncan McRae, and Stephen Lee.  Robert Teal was the constable sworn to attend
them.  These have all passed away except William McRae and Miles McInnis. 
There were but three bills found - one for malicious mischief and two for
assault and battery.  Most of the minute entries are in the unmistakable hand
writing of Senator George Goldthwaite.
    The first circuit court ever held at Clayton commenced on the 4th Monday
in March 1834, Hon. Anderson Crenshaw presiding, Harrell Hobdy sheriff, and
probably Thomas Pugh clerk.  The following was the first grand jury:  William
Beauchamp, foreman; Aerial Jones, John McInnis, Henry Bizzell, Joel Winslett,
Daniel McLane, Benjamin D. Sellers, Thomas Warren, Hope H. Williams, Seaborn
Jones, Ezekiel Wise, Ivy Cadenhead and Aaron Burlison.  Cary Motes was the
bailiff.  All these, including the judge, are dead and gone, except Ezekiel
Wise, a highly respected citizen, who still survives.  The judgment entries
on the minutes are almost all in the hand writing either of George
Goldthwaite or Jefferson Buford.  The first civil case that ever went on the
docket marked No. 1 was that of Duncan McRae vs John McInnis, an appeal.  It
was continued from term to term and not decided till 28th September 1835.  In
this first court held at Clayton ninety-five judgments were taken on Monday
the first day.  The court adjourned on Thursday.

    The "suitable house," mentioned in the order at Louisville was about
twenty feet square made of round pine logs unharmed by any broad axe.  There
was one small opening for a window, and one door in the southeast end.  This
primeval temple of justice sat corner wise to those lines on which such
important edifices are commonly erected, being neither north, south, east or
west.  It was located about where the rear of Mr. C.C. Green's store is now.
Thomas Warren, in the summer of 1833, superintended the building, and Ryan
Bennett helped get the four oak boards that covered it, out of a tree near
the little branch that runs through the fair grounds.  It was not quite equal
to our present court house, yet it was "suitable" to those simple times in
our country now forty years ago, and the pleadings which were read in that
humble house at Clayton were made by men whose talents and character have
adorned our history; and tribunal of justice there was presided over by a
judge whose learning and integrity cause his name and memory to be revered by
every Alabamian who appreciates the value of such attributes in judicial

Written by Green Beauchamp and published in The Eufaula Times in 1973


    Williamston was settled in 1820.  In that year William Williams, father
of John L. Williams, William Bush, Jared Williams, a Mr. Copeland and John
Danner came in and settled there.  These were the first settlers.  Danner was
a German, a blacksmith and put up the first blacksmith shop in Barbour
County.  He was an industrious and useful man.  Others come in soon after. 
The place took its name from the fact that a good many Williamses were
settled there.  William Williams put up the first cotton gin in this county.

    The first steamboat that ever navigated the Chattahoochee was "The
Fanny," a high pressure boat.  She landed at Apalachiola in 1826, and made a
trip up the river.

    In 1827 there was a sort of a famine among the Indians.  They were about
to starve.  Some of their chiefs, among them Onushajo, chief of Oakeeoknee
town (which by the way, was the name of the town at Prospect Bluff, instead
of Chitteeocknee), and Tustenughajo, from Eufaula town, came to Green
Beauchamp's store at Williamston, representing to Mr. B. their necessities,
and tried to buy corn.  They said their people were suffering, but they had
no means to pay, except by giving an order on Col. John Crowell, the Indian
agent at Ft. Mitchell.  Mr. Beauchamp agreed to risk it and made a bargain
with the chiefs to let them have one thousand bushels of corn.  In a few
days, about three hundred Indians came on foot, and on Ponies, and packed off
the corn.  Beauchamp then rode horseback from Williamston for Ft. Mitchell
and presented the order to Col. Crowell who accepted it in writing, but had
no money to pay it then.  Mr. Beauchamp returned and sold the order to
Hardridge, who had an Indian family and lived with the Indians at Oakaocknee
town. Mr. Beauchamp got some money and a Negro woman and child for the order.
 The Negro woman is still living and remains with her former master.  Mr.
Hardridge is said to have been an honorable and hospitable man.  He treated
one well who went to his home, but his Indian family never appeared at the

The following article was written by Green Beauchamp and published in the May
23, 1873 edition of The Eufaula Times:

    Rev. Joseph Harley was the first man that ever preached the gospel in
this country. He was a Methodist.  We wish we could give some further account
of one whose voice was heard 'crying in the wilderness," but we have been
unable to obtain any further account of one whose voice was heard "crying in
the wilderness," but we have been unable to obtain any further information. 
Perhaps some reader may yet furnish it.  The first was on the Attabbee, on
the old Columbia road, near where Mr. Thomas Robinson now lives.

    Mr. John Bartley is said to have been the first man who ever taught a
school in the country.  We make these statements, in respect to Mr. Harley,
and Mr. Bartley upon the information of Mr. Green Beauchamp and Mr. John
Whitehurst.  The latter was eighty years old on the 10th of March last.  He
emigrated from Twiggs County, Georgia, and settled on the 6th of January
1819.  There was then a block house on the west side of the river, erected
there by Jackson's army, and the settlement was known as the block house
settlement.  The block house stood for many years after Samuel Walden and
Pillitier Whitehurst, brother of John, came together, and they were for some
time the only people in that part of the county, except one Ellison, who
preceded them but a few days.  There was a sunken flat in the river, which
had been used by Jackson's army in crossing to or from Pensacola.  This flat
Ellison had already raised, when the Whitehursts and Walden arrived, and it
was used for many years after in crossing the river.  Ellison remained in the
country only about a year.

    In 1826 the people undertook to cut a road from about where Mr. Matthew
Fenn now lives to Eufaula.  About three hundred men black and white got
together for the purpose.  John Purifoy, who married a sister of Hon. Judge
S. Williams, was the overseer.  Luke Bennett's son, Ryan, a well known and
highly respected citizen now living among us, was of the party, although not
then old enough to be liable to road duty.  Allen V. Robinson, who has taught
three generations of us, "how to dance," and who can do it yet about as well
as ever, was also with this company of engineers.  They worked along merrily
and without interruption, cutting what is now the road from Eufaula to
Clayton, till they got to Barbour Creek.  It was called the Baba then, which
was seven years before the county got its name; but as we stated heretofore,
that was an abbreviation of the Indian name, Faukababa, meaning grape vine
creek.  The working party struck the creek about fifty yards below where the
upper bridge now stands.  They dug down the bank on the other side and some
blacks, and a few whites crossed over; among the latter, Noah A. Tyson and
Peleg Green.  They had barely got across when suddenly a frightful yell arose
on this side of the creek.  That yell, or war whoop some say it was, came
from more than a thousand hostile Indians hitherto concealed in the level
pine woods, where Rev. Mr. Reeves plantation now is.  Those who had crossed
over evidently thought it was the latter kind of vocal exercise on the part
of the aborigines, for it is said they promptly made good time in placing
themselves on the Clayton side of Faukababa.  Peleg boiled out of the creek
gesticulating wildly, and rushing up the bank, undertook an explanation to
the astonished pioneers.  But Peleg was a stutterer; and on this occasion he
is said to have excelled himself in that sort of elocution.  His gestures
were highly animated and expressive, but as to articulation, he seemed unable
to do justice to the subject, and, after five or six most energetic efforts,
he just gave up and made no spoken remarks at all.  Some of the whites,
however, desiring to see as well as hear, crossed over and found the piney
woods swarming with highly excited Indians, armed with guns and tommyhawks. 
They were yelling, jumping the logs, and capering about in a very unpleasant
manner altogether.  It seemed impossible to prevent their attacking some
blacks of our party who, somehow hemmed up on this side, had their axes drawn
to defend themselves.  Suddenly however a chief spoke and the Indians
subsided in an instant and were as mute as mice.  The Linkster (Indian
interpreters) then came forward from their party and said that John Winslett
(a white man who lived among them near the Uchee creek) had told them that we
were going to cut that road to their Eufaula town, that we must come no
further unless we could show an order form the Great Father  at Washington
city.  That order the whites could not produce; and, as they had neither guns
not tommyhawks about them, and had come out not to fight but to work the
roads, they concluded to withdraw.  So, after one bold fellow on our side, a
man named Martin Johnson, had mounted a log and indulged himself in some
protracted and stentorian profanity in respect to the President, mankind in
general, and Indians in particular, the whites picked up their tools and
retired in disgust, expressing on their way home, no very complimentary
opinions of either the enterprise or the sociability of the then inhabitants
of this fair city.

    Soon after this a lieutenant from Fort Mitchell, where was then a
garrison of the United States troops, came down and had a talk with these
Eufaulians-told them the road would benefit instead of injuring them,
bringing goods into their country, etc.  The Indians became reconciled. 
Their hostility was changed to co-operation, and they joined the white party
when it returned to work, helped them fix the ford on the Baba and cut the
road into Eufaula town.

From the Eufaula Times and News, 25 April 1907:

"A Happy Marriage - Mr. Amon Price and Miss Lizzie Orre happily married Sunday afternoon, April 21st at the home of Rev. R.B. Lee. Mr. Price is the son of R.J. Price and is one of the most prominent farmers and citizens of Baker Hill. Miss Orr is the daughter of Mr. Will Orr and is a most charming and beautiful young lady. Their friends wish them a long successful and happy journey through life.
- A Friend.".

From the Eufaula Times and News, 21 March 1907:

Buried Today -
Archie P. McLeod died yesterday at Lakeland, Fla., and will be buried today at Palmyra church. Mr. McLeod was formerly a resident of this county and has two sons living here, Solon and William..

Eufaula Times and News, 7 March 1907:

Death at Belcher -
Yesterday at 11:25 a.m. Mrs. Lydia Beard died at the home of Mr. J.T. Price near Belcher, Ala. She was born near Baker Hill in this county 73 years ago. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. J.T. Price, two sisters, Miss Peggy Baker and Mrs. Winnie Richardson, and one brother Mr. Jim Baker. She will be buried beside her husband who preceded her several years ago. She was one of a large family and through all these years had never connected herself with any church..

J. M. Bludworth ] Green Corn Dance ]

The Banner ] Bluff City Times ] Confederate Veteran Newspaper ] Eufaula Democrat ] Clayton Courier ] Clayton Record ] [ Eufaula Times and News ] Georgia Newspapers ] Montgomery Advertiser ] Ozark Tribune ] Southern Democrat ] Southern Star ] The State Guard ] Democrat Voice ] Misc.News ]

Welcome to Barbour County  If you have additional information please send to 

11/04/2009 Last updated