|Washington County was created on
June 4, 1800 , as
a county of the Mississippi Territory. Its original
boundaries were the Chattahoochee River to the east,
the Pearl River to the west, the 32nd parallel to
the north and the 31st parallel to the south. It
currently encompasses 1,081 square miles. Its area
originally contained 26,400 square miles. The county
was named for George Washington. The area of
Washington County was later divided into 16
Mississippi counties and 29 Alabama counties.
Early county seats of Washington County included
McIntosh's Bluff, Wakefield and St. Stephens. The
county seat is now located at Chatom. The current
boundaries of the county include the State of
Mississippi to the west, the Tombigbee River to the
east, Mobile County to the south and Choctaw County
to the north.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and
Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J.
Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.