Parker Family

Family Records and Sketches History of Clarke County Alabama Rev. Ball.

To read the entire book go to

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/al/state2/clarke/books/thball/thball.htm


 

Page 359

Family Records and Sketches History of Clarke County Alabama Rev. Ball.

From the family Bible

Jesse and Jane Parker were married January 4, 1776. Jesse Parker was married to Charlotte Parker June 2, 1785. William R. Parker was born in S. C. April 26, 1790. He died Sept. 5 1845, aged fifty six years. Jane Cathell Parker, his wife, was born April 28 1795 *

Jesse Parker came from SC to Clarke about 1810.

William R. Parker, his son, was married to Miss Cathell about 1813. He had four sons and three daughters. Of these Zena S. Parker is dead.

Washington C. Parker and W. S. Parker are living. The daughters were Charlotte J., Harriet R., not living, and Linea V.

Seth J. Parker, one of the four sons was born Feb. 18 1828. He has 6 children. His home is three miles from Jackson. He has been in public life and is well known over the county. He has been for many years a prominent citizen.

A remarkable case of physical suffering and of recovery occurred in his family. A little boy some seven years old was accidentally shot with a small pistol. The bullet about the size of a swan shot entered the bladder and soon prevented the discharge of water, except in a certain position of the body. It seemed as if the fearfully distended bladder must burst. The child experienced intense pain. Two physicians did all they could for his relief. A surgical operation was proposed, bgu6 i6t was considered too dangerous. AT length after 3 months of suffering the shot forced its own way through the natural channel, relief was then obtained, the wound healed and the child recovered. He is now a vigorous youth. The remarkable points in this case may be readily seen.

On the plantation of J. J. Parker, north of Jackson quite an amount of ancient pottery was washed-out in the freshed of 1874, from fifteen feet beneath the surface. The author has in his possession on of these pieces having on it a well designed human hand. The bake kettle or over, of which it seems to have been a part would hold perhaps half of a bushel.

Taylor

David Taylor became a settler here about 1812. In 1816 he married Judith C. Parker, daughter of Jesse and Charlotte Parker sister of William R. Parker. Having been a merchant in Augusta, Ga. He commenced merchandizing in Jackson. Seven Children lived to grow up. Six of these sons, Walter, John Seth P, David, Robert H. and William J. One was a daughter, Miss Charlotte A. E. Taylor, who married Colonel A. R. Sankford. Of these there are now living, John Taylor and Seth P. GAylor.

He continues with more on this Taylor family.

Page 598

BY ELDER P.E. KIRVEN.

"Died at his residence, of 20th of March last, near Grove Hill, Clarke County, Alabama, in the 57th year of his age, Elder W. Jacob Parker, who, for a quarter of a century, has been engaged with all the energies of a strong and cultivated mind and devoted heart, to the gospel ministry; it for 20 years of that time with in the bounds of this association; and as a bold, fearless advocate of our distinctive doctrines; and as a logical reasoner, he has with count a superior in our pool to; and as a faithful and useful minister of Jesus Christ, this association has never sustained a greater loss.

A few extracts from his autobiography will be of interest.*

He was born December 20, 1818, near Milledgeville, Georgia; professed faith in Christ, D. Saber 1836 in Montgomery county Alabama; was baptized by Elder John Robinson, near Orin, Pike County, Alabama, fourth Sabbath in figure where he, 1837; was licensed preach by Concord church Choctaw County, Alabama, June, 1847; and ordain by order of same church Jean, 1849, an Internet once upon the active duties of the ministry.

He was called to the care of the Fellowship Church or Marengo County, 1852; since which time his labors, as a minister, he had been given physically to this Association, in the bounds of which he has lived since 1851; first at Jefferson, Marengo County, until the winter of 1868, when he removed to Choctaw Corner, Clarke County Alabama; where he remained until 1872, when he again moved to Grove Hill, Clarke County.

During this period he serve annually from three to four churches in this for joining associations principally in this with a degree of zeal, energy and efficient excelled by none, an equal by but view; riding frequently 50 miles to meet his appointments; and baptized in the time over 600 persons. He was a self educated man; a lifelong student, and one of no mean attainments. He possessed a fine memory; was a close an independent thinker; a bold and logical reasoner. He was devoted to the doctrines of the Church of Christ and that, too, because he believed dead to be the truth. He was thought by some to be rigid in his doctrinal views. He was an uncompromising adherence to what he believed to be the Bible truth, and most decided opposed to religious error. It was his conscientious regard for the truth, as taught in the scriptures that made him so, for a kinder and more affectionate nature the writer never knew.

He possessed in no small degree, the spirit of his master. It was principles he fought and not men. In him was beautifully blended the spirit of the Lion of the lamb. While he assailed error for the courage of the lion, he could feel toward the errorist is the gentlest of the lamb.

This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.

Support Free-access Online History and Genealogy.
Join Today!

2004 gagenweb.org , georgiagenweb.org.
This site is part of The Heart Of Dixie www.theheartofdixie.net
To volunteer or donate records contact  Margie Daniels

 Margie Glover Daniels, State Manager for The Heart of Dixie Project