Historical Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas
GREENE COUNTYPHYSICAL FEATURESSTREAMSFORESTSKIND OF SOILAGRICULTURAL PRODUCTSSTOCK INTERESTSREAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTYPOPULATIONRAILWAYSERA OF SETTLEMENTA NOTED HUNTERACTS OF THE COUNTY BOARDCOUNTY SEAT AND BUILDINGSOFFICERSPOLITICAL OUTLOOKLEGAL MATTERSMILITARY AFFAIRSMUNICIPALITIESSCHOOLSCHURCHESBIOGRAPHY.
|The settlement of the territory now composing Greene County began about the year 1820. Benjamin Crowley, grandfather of Hon. Benjamin H. Crowley, and his family were the first settlers, and their nearest neighbors were then at Pocahontas, now the county seat of Randolph County. Crowley's Ridge was named in honor of this pioneer settler. The Pevehouse family, Wiley Hutchins, Jerry Gage, Samuel Willcockson, the Robertsons and J. W. Gage, were among the first settlers of the Crowley neighborhood, which is some twelve miles west of Paragould. William Pevehouse was the first child born in the county, and his brother, Wiley, and Hon. Ben. H. Crowley were first among the next children born. James McDaniel and Jesse Payne were early settlers on Village Creek. Isaiah Hampton and Lewis Bramlet settled in 1848, four miles east of Gainesville. John Mitchell, an early settler near Gainesville, put up the first cotton gin in the county, and Samuel Wilcockson erected the first steam grist mill on Crowley's Ridge, it being on Poplar Creek in the Crowley settlement. Parson William Nutt located near Gainesville; and Aaron Bagwell, from whom Bagwell Lake in the eastern part of the county took its name, and C. G. Jones, after whom Jones Ridge on the western border of the county is called, were also early settlers.|