Bertig Post Office
Transcribed by : Tina Easley
Mr. Ed Grady's family were also early settlers in the Bertig area . Mr. Grady owned land on both the Missouri and the Arkansas sides of the River , and also owned and operated the only hotel ever to exist in Bertig. According to records received from the National Archives Record Service in Washington , the first postoffice at Bertig was established on June 22, 1894 , with Mr. Don J. F. Guy as postmaster. Other postmasters and their dates of appointment included :
|Postmaster||Dates of Appointment|
|DON J. F. GUY||JUNE , 22, 1894|
|JESSE BAUMGARNER||JULY 10 , 1894|
|EBENEZER T. BISHOP||JAN. 3. 1896|
|JOHN B. BRECKENRIDGE||NOV. 30 , 1900|
|WILLIAM M. CHAMBERLAIN||JULY 11, 1903|
|JAMES T. C. WRIGHT||MAY 7 , 1907|
|EDDIE M. ROSS||AUG. 13 , 1908|
|JOHN O. HEDGE||MAR. 8, 1913|
The postoffice was discontinued on April 15 , 1914 . In 1926 , Mr. and Mrs. L. B. Dement purchased the old hotel building from Mr. Grady and operated a grocery store there for five years. In later years the old building was used as a clubhouse . In 1926 Bertig consisted of only one grocery store and four houses .
Mr. W.T. Dement , father of L.B. Dement , owned a large farm on Indian Hill , located across the River in Missouri just north of Bertig , but later purchased between forty and sixty acres of land in Arkansas , just north of Bertig Cemetery.