General Nathaniel Greene

for whom

Greene County

was named.

Below is some interesting information I found on Gen. Nathaniel Greene

Transcribed by Tina Easley

*******

A partial sketch, with especial reference to the public life of the Greenes of Warwick, by Henry E. Turner, M.D., was published at Newport in 1877. The life of Gen. Nathaniel Greene, by his grandson, Prof. George Washington Greene, contains much genealogical matter; but no comprehensive history or genealogy has been published.

On the eleventh of January Quartermaster-General [Nathaniel] Greene wrote, 'Such weather never did I feel. For six or eight days it has been so cold that there has been no living abroad; the snow is also very deep, and much drifted. We drive over the tops of fences. We have been alternately out of meat and bread for eight or nine days past, and without either for three or four.'

* * * *

 

ANECDOTE OF PRESIDENT STILES.

One day, as Dr. Stiles was present in a bookstore in Newport, a young man dressed like a Quaker entered and expressed his desire to buy a book. When asked what book? he was embarrassed, seeing which, and pleased with something in his appearance, Dr. Stiles politely accosted him and engaged him in conversation. Finally the book was selected, and thus began an acquaintance; the young man frequently thereafter visiting the kindly Doctor's house and receiving from him the advice which he was so well qualified to give. This Quaker young man was afterwards known in American history as General NATHANIEL GREENE,--Letter of Rev. Jonathan Leavilt Jenkins, of Pittsfield, Mass., a great-grandson of the President.

 

LANDS OF GENERAL NATHANIEL GREENE WERE THE FIRST TO ??E SURVEYED.

The 25000 acres of land granted to General Nathaniel Greene, by an Act of the North Carolina Legislature in 1784 were the first to be located by the commission, possibly due to the fact that the Act itself was specific and freshly directed to the commissioners. General Greene at this time (1784) was still living on his plantation at MULBERRY GROVE by the banks of the Savannah River in GEORGIA. But having been born at a place called PATA??IT. in Warwick County. Rhode Island, his war ?? physique in 1786 yielded to the hot climate and he died suddenly of sunstroke that year.

It is not known whether the distinguished officer ever visited Middle Tennessee, or not. There is no record, neither is there any record, so far as I have been able to find, of the horde of citizens and "guards" who as companied the commissioners in their "locating expedition" of that far-flung period in the history of TENNESSEE. Doubtle??, interested beneficiaries, fre??h from their North Carolina ??rvice and broken homes attended personally the slow but accurate work of the commission in looating their "homes" in what was then pr??ti??lly Indian tarritory, though no trouble appears to have been incurred from that ??.

The lands ?? apart by the Legislature for these veterans of the revolution, appears to have been between the ju??tion of the Cumberland River as it enters Tennessee from Kentucky, to where the Tennessee River in its courso Northward to the Chie left the State, and Southward to within 55 miles of the Al?? ??ippi line on the South. But the General ?? lands were below this line and fell South of Duck River in what ?? now Meury County. These were the first leade to be specifinally ??ted by the Commissioners. In the Act that ??t aside the ?? lands, they were ??ribed as follows:

"Beginning on the South bank of the DUCK RIVER, on a ??ore, charry twee and ash, at the mouth of a small branch, running the?? along a line of marked trees South seven miles and forty-eight poles, to a Spanish Oak. a hick??ry and a ??gar sapling; then?? East six miles and ninety poles, to a Spanish oak and hackberry tree; thence North three miles and 300 pol??s, to a sugar tree sapling, and two white oak saplings into a clift of DUCK RIVER, where it comes from the northeast; thence down Duck River, according to its meanderings to the beginning."

An account of the beginning of the work by the commissioners, says:

The Commissioners, and guards with SOME OF THE INHABITANTS IN COMPANY, (doubtless many of the exp??tant grantee??. anxious to locate their homes in the Tennessee country, as soon as possible) made their way to a place since called, ?? on that aocount, of course) LATTITU??E HILL, on ?? RIVER, to ascertain the 35th degree of North Lattitude, and there made observations. From there they went North to DUCK RIVER to the SECOND CREEK blow COLUMBIA (where it is now) and laid off General Greene's 25000 acres, and than 35 miles from the Southarn boundary of the State & running parallel thereto, ran a line which was called the "Contin??ntal Line", beo?? it was the boundary of the territory and lands that had been ??llotted to the officers and soldiers of North Carolina in the Continantal Army.

But at the request of officers and soldiers made to the Legislature at the session of 1783, that body had directed this land to be laid off from the Northarn boundary 55 miles South, "beginning on the Virginia line whers the Cumberland river intersects the same; thence South 55 miles; thence West across the State to the Tennessee river; thence down (northward) the Tennessee river back ??o the Virginia line, and from there East to the beginning". This line was the one run by O??ral Oriffith Eatherford in 1784 and named the Commissioner's line."

The "Continental Line" passed the Harpeth river about five miles above the town of FRANKLIN. The Commissioner's Line inoluded the lands in the Oreat Bend of the Tennessee river, all lands on the East side of the Tennessee North to the Kentucky line. The metho?? of running it was by comm??ing at the Kentucky line and running South 55 miles to MOUNT PIS??AH, then, forming themselves into two parties, one ran Wastward to the Tennessee and the other ranning Wastward to the GANEY FORK.

 DR. PHINEAS MILLER, b. Jan. 22, 1764, Middlefield, Connecticut. 
    Married Mrs. Catherine Littlefield, Greene May 31, 1796, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 
    Daughter of John Littlefield. Widow of General Nathaniel Greene. 
Financial Partner of Ell Whitney in the "Cotton Gin" enterprise. Graduate of Yale, B.A. 1785. Planter on Cumberland Island, Georgia. State Senator.