Greene County's Oldest Residence
Transcribed by : Tina Easley
Still Standing is the county's first house , the Thomas J. Mellon House just west of Warren's Chapel Church .
Built before the Civil War , this once -impressive mansion was made of hewn logs and finished with hand dressed lumber from a whipsaw mill.
A nearby spring provided water for the "big house" and slave cabins.
About 1870 a school was established east of the spring and a blacksmith shop was located at one time a short distance to the south.