Library 's

Past and Present

Printed in Paragould Daily Press , May 17, 2003

Transcribed by : Tina Easley

Past Locations of Paragould Public Library :

*1936 to 1949 , rented second floor room and sometimes separate reading rooms in 100 block of West Court Street ; above Trail Blazer Cafe , Site of the building is now a bank dive through.

* 1949 to 1953 , rented free space provided on third floor of Paragould City Hall , the former Dickson Memorial Hospital . Lower floors of this building are still standing , but third and fourth floors were removed in 1957.

Past Locations Greene County Library

* April 1953 to August 1954 , rented five room first floor apartment in the Dillman Building , just west of the post office . The house was razed when the post office building was enlarged in 1966.

*August 1954 to March 1962 , rented old Emerson Funeral Home on northwest corner of Poplar and Second streets. The site is now a vacant lot.

* March 1962 to April 1974 , owned Partain Building at 110 E. Poplar . The building was torn down in 1999.

Past Librarians Paragould Public Library

*Nona Dixon , January 1936 to July 1941

*Pearl Diggs , July 1941 to December 1943 , and also 1945 to 1948

*Pauline Hooper , 1948 to January 1951

*Lindel Hooper , 1951

* Ruby Branom, 1951 to 1953.

Past Librarians Greene County Library

* Minnie Gay , June 1953 to September 1953

* Myrtle Deason , September 1953 to November 1955

*Minnie Gay , December 1955 to August 1961

* Nadene Lee , for a few months 1961

* Kathleen Sharp , June 1962 to July 1979

* Nancy Evans , September 1979 to May 1988

* Paullean Capps , June 1988 to May 1998

*Sandra Rogers , July 1998 to present