History of Greene County Towns
Greene is well supplied with villages, towns, postoffices, etc., as the following facts indicate: Bethel is a postoffice and flag station on the railroad, five miles south of Paragould.
Crowley is a postoffice twelve miles northwest of Paragould.
Finch is a postoffice ten miles southwest of Paragould.
Gainesville, on the Helens branch of the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railroad, eight miles north of Paragould, formerly the seat of justice for Greene County, was established about the year 1840. In 1846 it contained a log courthouse, two store buildings and five dwelling housesall log except one dwelling house, which was a frame, sided up with clapboards. The town has ever been of slow growth, but situated as it is in a good community far from other villages, it is a point of considerable trade, containing four general stores, one drug store, four family groceries, two blacksmith shops, one steam grist mill and cotton-gin combined, two hotels, one printing office, from which is published the Greene County Event, by F. M. Dalton, one livery stable, two church edificesCumberland Presbyterian and Methodistone public school-house, three physicians, and one lawyer, the latter being the Hon. J. E. Reddick, present judge of the circuit court of this judicial circuit.
Halliday, a postoffice and flag station on the Cotton Belt Railroad, is six miles north of Paragould.
Herndon is a postoffice in the southwest part of the county.
Lorado, also but a postoffice, is in the southwest part of the county.
Marmaduke, a town of about 200 inhabitants on the 'Cotton Belt' Railroad, twelve miles northeast of Paragould, contains four stores, a blacksmith shop, cotton gin and press, church, school house, a saw-mill and boarding house. From here a tramway is run a mile out on the St. Francis River, where other mills are located. The village was first laid out in 1882 by the Railroad Company.
Paragould, the county seat of Greene County, situated at the connection and crossing of the St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas and the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railroads, was laid out in April, 1882, by the South western Improvement Company, Willis Pruet and wife and J. A. Lambert and wife. It was named after President Paramore of the former and President Gould of the latter of these routes, the name Gould being substituted for the last syllable of Paramore, making it Paragould. The town has grown rapidly, and in the seven years of its existence has attained a population of about 2,000. It contains the Greene County Bank, nine general stores, five family groceries, four drug stores, one hardware, saddlery and farm implement store, six saloons, two bakeries, two millinery stores, four hotels and many boarding houses, two livery stables, two butcher shops, one shoe, four blacksmith and one foundry shop, five stave factories, three saw-mills, one cotton gin, a feed store, photograph galleries, barber shops, laundry and many other industries, four church edificesMethodist, Baptist, Cumberland Presbyterian and Christian, a public school- house, seven physicians, three dentists, a lodge each of Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Honor, Knights of Pythias and a Post of the G. A. R.; also these newspapersthe Paragould Evening Times, published daily, by W. A. H. McDaniel, editor and proprietor; the Record, published weekly. by Messrs. Taylor & Carter, the Press recently being consolidated with this journal. In politics the entire press of the county is Democratic, but the papers are published in the interest of the people, and are doing their best to promote and increase the prosperity of the county. Near Paragould on the west side are situated the grounds and buildings of the Greene County Fair Association, which held its second annual exhibition in October, 1888. Paragould is incorporated as a city, and has a mayor, recorder, marshal, and a board of five aldermen. The present officers are H. W. Glasscock, mayor; T. P. Cole, recorder; John M. Winder, marshal. A vast amount of capital is here invested. The town is beautifully located, and its growth is rapid and permanent. It is surrounded by a good agricultural and stock-raising country, which insures its future prosperity. The Bank of Paragould which was organized on March 19, 1889, is deserving of mention. It was incorporated with C. Wall, president, E. S. Bray, cashier, and A. A. Knox as secretary of the board of directors. The directors are as follows: Dr. C. Wall, A. Berteg, A. P. Mack, W. H. Jones, J. W. Crawford, D. D. Hodges and A. A. Knox. They have a capital stock of $30,000. The new bank building, which is a neat two-story structure located on the corner of Pruet and Emerson streets, was completed and occupied on the 1st of July, 1889.
Stonewall, a post village on the Iron Mountain Railroad, fourteen miles north of Paragould, contains a store, saw-mill and shingle factory. Tilmanville is a postoffice fifteen miles north of Paragould. Walcott is a postoffice twelve miles west of Paragould.
@Highlights from Goodspeed