History of New Liberty Baptist Church

Transcribed by :Tina Easley

tina@grnco.net

UPDATED - 6/20/06

THANK YOU

TERRY !

WELL PAST ITS 100TH BIRTHDAY , THE NEW LIBERTY BAPTIST CHURCH IS LOCATED ABOUT SIX MILES NORTH OF PARAGOULD ON THE OLD GAINESVILLE - MARMADUKE ROAD .

ACCORDING TO RECORDS , THE CHURCH WAS ORGANIZED IN 1886 . INFORMATION ON THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE CHURCH IS SPARSE. THE CHURCH WAS LISTED IN GOODSPEED'S HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY (1889 ) , AMONG TEN OTHER ACTIVE BAPTIST CHURCHES IN THE COUNTY . EARLY MEMBERS WERE MOSTLY FROM PINE KNOT.

THE FIRST CHURCH BUILDING AT THE NEW LIBERTY SITE WAS OF LOG CONSTRUCTION , LOCATED ACROSS THE ROAD FROM THE PRESENT CHURCH . WHEN THIS CHURCH WAS BUILT IS NOT RECORDED , BUT IT WAS RECALLED AS THE OLD NEW LIBERTY LOG CHURCH . IT IS BELIEVED THE CHURCH EXISTED AT NEW LIBERTY LONG BEFORE THE 1886 DATE . THERE IS A LARGE WELL -KEPT CEMETERY ADJACENT TO THE CHURCH , STILL USED BY FAMILY MEMBERS .

BROTHER J.D. FAULKNER WAS NAMED AS THE FIRST PASTOR ( 1886 - 1887 ) . FAULKNER WAS FAMOUS AS A BAPTIST MISSIONARY AND WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR ORGANIZING A NUMBER OF RURAL CONGREGATIONS AND SERVED MANY OF THEM AS PASTOR OVER A LONG AND ACTIVE LIFE .

BROTHER DAVID THORNE WAS LISTED AS PASTOR IN 1888 . MEMBERS OF THIS EARLY CHURCH INCLUDED BROS. SOLOMON WALLS , BILLY JOHNSON , LEGO MOORE , GRANVIL NUTT , TERRY NOEL AND SISTER ALMA NOEL .

THE CHURCH WAS CLOSED IN 188 AND MEMBERS DISPERSED TO NEW FRIENDSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH AND OTHER NEARBY CHURCHES . SINCE NEW LIBERTY WAS INCLUDED IN A LIST OF ACTIVE CHURCHES IN 1889 , SERVICES WERE PROBALY HELD ON AN IRREGULAR SCHEDULE UNTIL IT WAS REORGANIZED . A RECORD OF THIS PERIOD WAS NOT AVAILABLE .

THE CHURCH WAS REORGANIZED MAY 4 , 1907 AT MEETING HELD IN THE J.S. NOEL HOME . AGAIN J.D.. FAULKNER , THEN OF UNION GROVE , ASSISTED IN THE REORGANIZATION AS MODERATOR , WITH F.M. HAYWOOD ACTING AS CLERK. OTHERS PRESENT AT THIS MEETING WERE R.E. MCGOWAN OF UNITY , G.W. PULLEN , J.B. WALDEN AND S.H. WEATHERLY , ALL OF FRIENDSHIP.

DURING THE YEARS OF 1907 -1915 , MANY ADDITIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS WERE MADE TO THE CHURCH BUILDING .

THE CHURCH WAS IN THE GAINESVILLE ASSOCIATION UNTIL 1925 , WHEN IT WAS ACCEPTED BY THE GREENE COUNTY BAPTIST ASSOCIATION .

CHARTER MEMBERS

(DOUBLE CLICK ABOVE TO SEE MEMBERS )

A STUDY OF THE MINUTES OF CHURCH MEETINGS LISTS NAMES NOT INCLUDED AMONG THE CHARTER MEMBERS . HOWEVER , FROM THE RESPONSIBILITIES PLACED ON THESE PEOPLE THEY WERE UNDOUBTEDLEY MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE NAMED . INCLUDED WERE J.B. JARVES , E.D. JACKSON , E.D. COOPER , (WHO ACTED AS PASTOR PRO-TEM) , JIM STARS , LEWIS MCGOWAN , SISTER DARNALL , SISTER VALENTINE , AND J.J. BURTON .

THE FIRST PASTOR WAS M.L. WALKER . THROUGHOUT THESE YEARS THE CHURCH CLERK WAS J.S. (JIM) NOEL . OTHER PASTORS WHO SERVED UNTIL THE CHURCH BUILDING WAS DESTROYED IN A CYCLONE , SEPTEMBER 2 , 1936 , INCLUDED BROTHERS R.E. MCGOWAN , J.D.J. FAULKNER , E.D. COOPER , ?? SETTLEMEYER , J.N. HAMMOND , L.G. MILLER , F.G. MCDONALD , OSCAR GOSSETT AND JOHN L. RAY .

THE CHURCH BUILDING WAS REBUILT AND DEDICATED AUGUST 29 , 1943 . THE PASTOR JOHN L. RAY PREACHED THE DEDICATORY SERMON AND THE FAITHFUL BRO. FAULKNER GAVE THE DEDICATORY PRAYER .

IN 1952 BRO. H.O. SHULTZ WAS CALLED AS PASTOR . DURING HIS TENURE OF EIGHT YEARS AND FOUR MONTHS , THE MEMBERSHIP GREW UNTIL THERE WAS NEED FOR ADDITIONAL ROOM. IT WAS THEN VOTED TO BUILD SIX NEW CLASSROOMS AND REMODEL THE MAIN AUDITORIUM . J.W. PRATT PUT TOGETHER NEW PEWS FOR THE AUDITORIUM . IN 1976 THE PEWS WERE CUSHIONED AND PART OF THE AUDITORIUM AND ALL THE CLASSROOMS WERE CARPETED.

IN 1978 A WELL WAS DRILLED AND WATER PIPED TO THE CHURCH . TWO RESTROOMS WERE INSTALLED . BRO. SHULTZ REMAINED PASTOR UNTIL JULY 11 , 1982 . PRESENT PASTOR IS BILL HATTON .

TODAY NEW LIBERTY SERVES A CONGREGATION OF JUST UNDER A HUNDRED MEMBERS.

 

The link to the Minutes from Meetings list Brethern and wives that have come forward to become members it also tells which ones had died through out the year.

Records Kept by New Liberty Church

Minutes From Meetings