William F. Lovejoy
Donated by : Charles Batten
Note:Lovejoy had Mr. Leonard's money and position against him. This is from Goodspeed's History of Greene County:
William F. Lovejoy is foreman of the Leonard plantation in Greene County, Ark., which is one of the finest in the State, containing 2,000 acres under wire fence, with 600 acres in cultivation. On this farm is a good general store, belonging to Mr. Lovejoy, and a saw and grist-mill and a cotton-gin belonging to Mr. Leonard. They are largely interested in raising blooded stock, the plantation being admirably adapted to this industry, and a specialty is made of raising Poland China and Berkshire hogs. Nineteen dwelling houses are on the place, and the barn, which is 100×85 feet, is one of the best in the State. From 250 to 300 acres of land are annually devoted to the culture of cotton, which receives the most of Mr. Lovejoy's attention. He was born in DeKalb County, Ga., in 1843, and was the second in a family of five children born to Samuel and Paulina (Scaife) Lovejoy, who were also Georgians, the father a planter and merchant by occupation. In 1848 they moved to Alabama and resided on a plantation in that State, and here the mother died, in 1850. The father remained there until 1870, when he moved to Phillips County, Ark., in which State he resided until his death, in 1883. William F. Lovejoy was reared on a plantation and received his education in the schools of Alabama. While living in that State he was married, in 1864, to Frances Carrington, and at the time of his father's removal to Arkansas he and wife came also and engaged in farming and merchandising. He owns a good farm in St. Francis County, but since 1883 he has resided in Greene County, and since 1886 has had charge of Mr. Leonard's farm, which he is conducting in a highly satisfactory manner. Besides his property in St. Francis County he has 160 acres, with forty under cultivation, near Mr. Leonard's farm. He has never been very active in politics, but votes the Democratic ticket. In 1862, while in Alabama, he joined M. M. Slaughter's Company, Bell's Battalion, Tenth Regiment, Confederate States Army, but became afflicted with chronic diarrha and was honorably discharged. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Brinkley Lodge No. 295. He has seen a great change for the better in Greene County since locating here, and has witnessed the full growth of Rector, and has been the means of opening up more land than any man in Blue Cane Township. He has also done much to increase the wealth of the same, and has expended over $10,000 in clearing the large plantation of which he is manager, and which is now one of the most valuable pieces of property in the State. He and wife became the parents of two children, one of whom died in infancy, and the other, Mary Pauline, is the wife of Mr. Bradford, merchant and express agent at Brinkley, Ark.; she is the mother of one child, William Monroe.