Among the argonauts who came to California in search of the golden fleece, was W. H. B. Deardorff, a native of Indiana, who arrived in this state in 1849. Making his way to the mines, he was engaged in searching for the precious metal until the winter of 1851, when he went to Oregon, and in the spring of 1852 returned with a friend to Burlington, Iowa. There he was married, and in the spring of 1853 he brought his bride to the Pacific coast, traveling across the plains as captain of an emigrant train. The wagons were drawn with ox teams and the progress was necessarily slow. The roads were bd, being oftentimes nothing but a trail, and the way was fraught with dangers, but eventually the party reached their destination, and Mr. Deardorff settled near Oakland, Oregon, becoming one of the first residents of that part of the state. He followed farming and stock-raising, and the experiences of life on the western frontier formed part of his life history. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Georgiana Harrel, was a native of Ohio. By her marriage she became the mother of three sons and four daughters, all living in Oregon with the exception of the doctor. The family is of German origin and was established in Pennsylvania in 1729. Representatives of the name were soldiers of the Revolutionary war and also served in the war of 1812.
Dr. A. G. Deardorff was one of the first white childten born in the vicinity of Oakland, Oregon, his birth occurring in Douglas county, in September, 1854. His boyhood days were spent unfer the parental roof, and he attended the public schools near his home, after which he continued his education in the Wilbur Academy, which was a branch of the Willamette University of Oregon. He completed his course by graduation when twenty years of age, but in the meantime he had engaged in teaching school for a number of terms. Following his graduation he turned his attention to farming in the vicinity of Salem, Oregon, and he also taught school for two terms in that locality.
Desiring to devote his life to professional work and deciding upon the practice of medicine, Dr. Deardorff went east in the fall of 1878 and entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, where he completed a regular course and was graduated in February, 1882. He then returned to his home at Jefferson, Oregon, and continued in the practice of medicine at Jefferson and at Salem until the summer of 1886, when he removed to Fresno, California, where he entered upon active work in connection with his profession and soon gained a good patronage, as he ably demonstrated his ability to cope with the intricate problems which continually confront the physician. While residing there he also became an active factor in community affairs, especially in political circles as a leader in Republican ranks. He was chairman of the Republican county central committee, and it was under his guidance in this position that Fresno county, for the first time in its history, elected Republican county officials.
Dr. Deardorff continued in Fresno until the spring of 1895, when he removed to San Francisco, where he has practiced continually to the present time. He has acquired a high reputation as a surgeon and physician, and his practice is now extensive and lucrative. He is now visiting physician and surgeon to the Buena Vista Sanitarium. While in Fresno he was appointed by Grover Cleveland to the office of pension examiner and served in 1894 and 1895. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and while he is in hearty sympathy with the beneficent spirit of those orders, his time and attention are chiefly occupied with his professional cares, which have continually increased in extent and importance. He has made good use of time and opportunities, and his professional career has been one of continued progress that has rendered his service of greater and greater value in the alleviation of human suffering.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page