ALFRED MARTIN GUNTER


Alfred M. Gunter is an honored Californian of fifty years' standing, having made agriculture his lifelong pursuit, and for about thirty-five years has made his home on his coice estate four and a half miles east of Florin in Sacramento county. Mr. Gunter is a man of great enterprise, industry and business management, and he has been engaged in steady and worthy endeavor ever since boyhood. Like most successful men he began with small capital, and his own character and ability are the sources of what he has gained.

Mr. Gunter was born September 3, 1842, during a brief residence of his parents, Jacob and Jane (Sanford) Gunter, in LPorte county, Indiana. His father and mother were both natives of pennsylvania, born respectively June 13, 1814, and September 11, 1818, and were married in New York state February 23, 1836; then went to Ohio, to Illinois, to Indiana, and thence to Jefferson county, Iowa, where the son Alfred M. Spent the first eleven years of his life. In 1853 the family started from their Iowa home, in a company having three wagons drawn by ox teams, and after a journey of some six months arrived in Eldorado county, California. The parents resided in that county some time, later in Sacramento county, and then in Inyo county. Jacob Gunter passed away from his long and useful career only a short time since, having lacked but a month of being ninety years old, and his wife passed away June 27, 1893. Jacob Gunter was a well known California pioneer, and for nearly half a century supported the Republican party. Of the children of Jacob and Jane Gunter there are nine still living: Mrs. J. M. Bill, of Pleasant Valley, Eldorado county; Mrs. Minerva Powers, of Bishops Creek, Inyo county; Alfred M.; Alonzo T., of Hope, New Mexico; Hannibal N., of this state; Mrs. Allen McGee, of Bishops Creek; Mrs. John McGee, of Bishops Creek; Perry B., of Bishops Creek; and Helson J., in Idaho.

Mr. Alfred M. Gunter was reared to man's estate in Sacramento county, and what educational training he received in this state came through the subscription schools. He began doing for himself when quite young, and the first enterprise to test his mettle was in taking up a claim and holding it against all intruders, and the dauntlessness thus manifested has been a staying quality with him all the rest of his life. He worked hard to get his start, and in 1870 was able to buy part of his present estate near Florin. He owns at present seven hundred and twenty acres, well improved, and productive of fine crops. Mr. Gunter's wife owns three hundred and thirty-three acres of good land at Elk Grove.

April 10, 1872, Mr. Gunter married Miss Margaret M. Kent, who was born in Illinois November 25, 1849, a daughter of James and Martha M. (Gray) Kent. The Kent family came across the plains in 1853 by way of Salt Lake and settled in Sutter county along the Sacramento river, being among the early settlers there; in 1868 they settled at Elk Grove in Sacramento county, and James Kent sold a portion of his land for town lots upon which the town of Elk Grove was built. Mr. and Mrs. Gunter have nine children: Alfred F., Wilfred E., M. Leona, James G., Rufus I., Pearl A., Orrin A., Loren E. and Ethel.

Mr. Gunter has served for a number of years as a trustee of Excelsior school district, and is deeply interested in educational progress in his county. He is a member of Industrial Lodge of the I. O. O. F. at Sacramento, and also of Enterprise Grange No. 159, P. of H., of which his daughter, Miss Leona, is the present efficient master.

Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II

The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine


Return to Biographies Index, Volume II

Return to California AHGP home page

Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page