Benjamin A. Goodwin, a representative of agricultural interests in San Joaquin county, is the owner of a fine and well improved ranch located in Dent township about three miles east of Manteca Station. Here he is engaged in the cultivation of grain, of olives and almonds, and is also interested as a director in a creamery enterprise. He has been a resident of California since 1869, when he came with his parents and other members of the family to San Joaquin county, the journey being made from the old home in Middlesex county, Massachusetts.
Benjamin A. Goodwin was born in East Charleston, Vermont, on the 29th of June, 1853, and is a son of Darius and Lorinda (Shedd) Goodwin, both of whom were natives of New England. The father, who was born in Maine, removed from Vermont to Middlesex county, Massachusetts, in the '50s, and thence came to California, making the journey by way of the isthmus route. They landed in San Francisco and proceeded direct to San Joaquin county, where Darius Goodwin resided continuously until his death with the exception of a brief period passed in Merced county. He died in San Joaquin county in 1879, and thus passed away one of the respected and honored pioneer settlers. He was a stanch Republican in politics and believed firmly in the principles of the party, but never sought or desired office, preferring to give his time and energies to his business affairs. His widow is yet lilving, and now in her seventy-eighth year resides with her son Benjamin, being among the most venerable and respected pioneer ladies of San Joaquin county. Of his children two are yet living: Daniel and Benjamin A., the former an extensive wheat-grower of Stanislaus county, California.
Benjamin A. Goodwin, as before stated, came with his parents to California in 1869, being at that time about sixteen years of age. he was educated in the public schools of Woburn, Massachusetts, and is financially a self-made man, hs prosperity being attributable entirely to his own efforts. As his financial resources have increased he has made judicious investments in property, whereon he has carried forward the work of improvement until he is now the owner of a very valuable ranch. In 1878 he settled upon his present farm, comprising three hundred and twenty acres of arable land now under a high state of cultivation. He now has thirty-six acres planted to almonds, which are in bearing condition, and six acres planted to olives. The remainder of the ranch is devoted to general agricultural pursuits and dairying, and in all branches of his business Mr. Goodwin is meeting with success, making large annual shipments of his product. He keeps a high grade of cattle upon his place for dairying purposes, and at this writing is serving as a director of the Cowell Station Creamery, of which he was one of the incorporators.
In November, 1878, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Goodwin and Miss Mary E. Clapp, a daughter of Noah Clapp, now of Stockton, California, and one of the early settlers of San Joaquin county. Five children have been born of this marriage, of whom four are now living; Nellie M., Elmer B., and Alfred D., who are at home. The family is well known and the members of the household enjoy the good will and friendship of many of the best residents of San Joaquin county. Mr. Goodwin exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party. he belongs to Mount Horeb lodge No. 58, I. O. O. F., at Ripon, California, and is now serving as a trustee of the Calla school district. He is well known as a representative citizen of this part of the county and well deserves mention among the leading agriculturists of San Joaquin county.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page