In a record of those who have been prominently identified with the development and progress of modern California it is imperative that definite consideration be granted to Charles H. W. Brandt, for he is a prominent representative of the manufacturing interests of San Joaquin county, and has so ordered his life as to gain and retain the confidence and esteem of his fellow men.
Mr. Brandt is a native of Hanover, Germany, born on the 25th of October, 1840, a son of Frederick and Phillipena Brandt, both of whom were natives of Hanover. The son spent the first fifteen years of his life in the fatherland and in 1855 emigrated to the new world, taking passage at Bremen upon a sailing vessel which was three months and nine days in making the harbor at Galveston, Texas. He thence went to Washington county, Texas, where he spent several years working at the carpenter's trade. In 1859, however, he left the Lone Star state and traveled in various countries in Central and South America. In the spring of 1861 he came to California, settling in San Francisco, where he engaged in the furniture business for a short time, and in the spring of 1862 he came to San Joaquin county, locating on San Joaquin river, where for a number of years he engaged in gardening and general agricultural pursuits. In 1872 he began the manufacture of chicory, and conducted the business alone until 1881, in which year he admitted C. A. Bachman to a partnership. The business was then conducted under the firm name of Bachman & Brandt, and was so continued until the death of Mr. Bachman on the 18th of November, 1903. Mr. Brandt is again sole proprietor of the business, and the plant is called the California Chicory Works. It is located eight miles from Stockton, on the San Joaquin river at Brandt's Bridge, which village was named in honor of Mr. Brandt. Mr. Brandt began the manufacture of chicory in an experimental way, but the business has grown from year to year, and now seventeen men are employed in the conduct of the plant. He is likewise interested in general agricultural pursuits and stock-raising, and owns three different tracts of land, having made judicious investment in property as his financial resources have increased. In his business affairs he has displayed marked discernment, keen enterprise and laudable ambition, and his success has been the merited reward of his labor.
On the 18th of September, 1870, Mr. Brandt was united in marriage to Miss Theresa Bachman, who was born in Germany, May 15, 1853, a daughter of the late C. A. Bachman, of San Joaquin county. They have become the parents of nine children, of whom eight are now living: Charles A., Frederick C., Augustus W., Louis, Emil A., Theresa, Dorothy and Mildred. Louis is superintendent of Williamson's Plumbing Works in San Francisco. One son, Oscar, is now deceased. Seven of the children are residents of San Joaquin county. Mrs. Brandt died July 28, 1904. In his political views Mr. Brandt is an earnest Republican, doing all in hispower to promote the interests of his party and keeping well informed on the questions and issues of the day. As a public-spirited citizen he favors all measures for the general good, and has been the champion of many movements which have resulted in benefit to this part of California. He is a member of Morning Star Lodge No. 68, F. & A. M., at Stockton, and also belongs to the Order of Druids.
During his residence in California he has witnessed many changes and much development and has rejoiced in what has been accomplished here. His success in all his undertakings has been so marked that his methods are of interest to the commercial world. He has based his business principles and actions upon strict adherence to the rules which govern industry, economy and strict unswerving integrity. His enterprise and progressive spirit have made him a typical American in every sense of the word and he well deserves mention in history. What he is to-day he has made himself, for he began in the world with nothing but his own energy and willing hands to aid him. By constant exertion, associated with good judgment, he has raised himself to the prominent position which he now holds, having the friendship of many and the respect of all who know him.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page