Christopher Von Glahn, who on February 16, 1896, surrendered the duties of life and passed to his reward, was for fully forty years one of the most prominent ranchers and esteemed citizens of San Joaquin county. His life was one of industry, thrift and honest toil, from the years of youth until he had passed the Psalmist's span of allotted years and was ripe and ready, as the yellow grain, to be garnered into the sheaf of the immortals by the Master's hand. No one can doubt the good accomplished by such a life and that its ultimate result is a wave of beneficience destined to cross the ocean of time and beat strong and full on the shore of eternity. Besides a worthy family of sons and daughters he leaves his aged widow to enjoy the comforts which their united efforts for many happy years accomplished, and she still lives to receive the esteem and respect of her many friends and neighbors in the community of which she and her husband were among the earliest pioneers.
Christopher Von Glahn came to California in 1855, with his wife and one child, having left New York city and came around by the Isthmus of Panama, and from San Francisco they proceeded directly to Stockton, where they had their abode until 1859. In that year they settled on the ranch, on the French Camp road near Atlanta, which has ever since been the family home. Mr. Von Glahn took up government land, being among the first settlers to arrive for permanent homesteading in this vicinity. He was a hard worker and an able manager, and at his death heleft an estate of six hundred and forty acres with all its valuable improvements, being one of the model pieces of property in the San Joaquin valley.
Mr. Von Glahn was a native German, and was born near Bremerhaven, September 26, 1824, being the son of Frederick W. and Anna Von Glahn, also natives of Germany. He was reared to young manhood and was equipped with a fair education before leaving his native land. He was throughout life a great reader, and was considered a well informed man, not only concerning the practical affairs of life but as regarded the broader questions and policies of the world. He was twenty years old when, in 1844, he emigrated to America. He embarked on a sailing vessel at Bremerhaven, and was sixty days in getting to New York city, where he was engaged in the grovery business until he set out for California in 1855.
He was married in New York city in May, 1852, to Miss Catherine Boschen, who was born July 2, 1827, also near Bremerhaven, being a daughter of Henry and Catherine M. (Muhler) Boschen, both natives of Germany. Mrs. Von Glahn had emigrated to America in 1848. She and her husband had a happy married life extending over more than forty years, and during that time seven children were born into their household, as follows: Henry W., who is deceased; Catherine M.; Anna C., the wife of A. Allen; Borchert H.; Frederick W.; Henrietta R., wife of John R. Hitchcock; and Rev. Christopher H. Von Glahn, who is a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church and is now located at Bernardsville, New Jersey.
Mr. Von Glahn took much interest in the progress and welfare of his community. He served for several years as a trustee of the Van Allen school district, and for a portion of the time was clerk of the board. In politics he was a Republican, although he endorsed the cardinal principle of the Prohibition party. He was a member of the Atlanta Methodist church, and for several years served as steward. His widow is still an active member in this church and is one of its oldest adherents and supporters.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page