In the best development of Sacramento county Egbert L. Wilson bore an important part. He was identified with the agricultural interests of his section of the state from pioneer days, and while promoting the material welfare of the community also gave an active and liberal support to those measures which tended to advance its intellectual and moral status. His life was filled with good deeds and kindly thoughts, and all who knew him entertained for him the highest regard, by reason of his upright, honorable life.
Mr. Wilson was born in Illinois in November, 1832, and when a lad of sixteen years, in 1849, he came with his father and two brothers across the plains to California, the journey being made with ox teams. His first employment in the Golden state was in freighting to the mines, and for a time thereafter was engaged in mining for gold. In 1867 he took up his abode on the farm on which his widow now resides, located near White Rock, Sacramento county, California, and consisting of two thousand acres of land, where he was prominently identified with agricultural interests for many years. He was long recognized among the leading cattle dealers of the community, and on his large ranch he conducted an extensive dairy. For several terms he served as a trustee of the White Rock joint school district, of which he was one of the organizers. At all times he was a warm friend of education, and did all in his power to promote intellectual activity among his neighbors. His political support was given to the Republican party, and fraternally he was a worthy member of the Masonic order at Folsom, of the Ancient Order of United Workmen of the city, and in former years was prominently associated with the Grange movement. He was a man of firm convictions, honest purpose, kindly nature and upright life, and the world is better for his having lived. He departed from the scenes of earth's activities October 13, 1902, but his memory is still enshrined in the hearts of his many friends.
On the 3d of March, 1875, Mr. Wilson was married to Miss Mary C. Thalir, a native of Placerville, California, and a step-daughter of A. J. Blakeley, a resident of Eldorado county. Four children were born of this union, but only three are now living--Annie E., George A. and Laura C. Mrs. Wilson is a member of Fallen Leaf Chapter No. 90, of the Eastern Star at Placerville. Her many admirable qualities and social nature render her very popular among a large circle of friends in Sacramento and Eldorado counties.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page