Among the successful members of the Sacramento bar is Eugene S. Wachhorst, a native son of this city, born on the 11th of May, 1866. He is a son of Herman B. F. and Frances (Smith) Wachhorst, both of whom are natives of Germany. The father came to America in the year 1843. He had learned the trade of watchmaker and jeweler in early life. He established his hom in New Orleans, where he carried on business along these lines. during his residence in that city he was also connected with the grand opera, being a noted vocalist and musician. In the year 1850 he came to California by way of the Horn, arriving in this state in the spring. He located first in Sacramento and afterward spent a short period in the mines, but soon returned to the caital city, where he engaged in the jewelry business, conducting his store until 1899, when his life's labors were ended in death. Long an enterprising merchant of this city, he was very widely and favorably known in commercial circles and by his capable management and upright business methods he secured a liberal and gratifying patronage. He was prominent in many ways, a man noted for his energy and public spirit. He was elected one of the first trustees of Sacramento under the present city charter in 1894, and filled that position for four years, or up to the time of his demise. His record was at all times worthy of emulation and his interest in community affairs was deep and sincere. At his death he left three sons, of whom Eugene S. is the eldest. Herbert B. F., the youngest, died only two months after the father's death, having met with a fatal accident while attending Stanford University.
At the usual age Eugene S. Wachhorst entered the public schools and later supplemented his preliminary training by study in the Military Academy of Oakland. He was also a studnet in a preparatory school in Berkeley, California, and then entered the State University to prepare for the practice of law. when he had completed a thorough law course he was admitted to the bar in January, 1897, and located in Sacramento, where he has continued to the present time in active connection with his profession. He served as chief deputy in the office of the county clerk from 1891 until 1899, and during the four succeeding years was assistant district attorney. He is now engaged in the private practice of law and has a good clientage, which is an indication of the capability he has manifested in handling intricate problems of jurisprudence. He prepares his cases with great thoroughness and care, and presents the points in evidence with a force that carries weight, so that his argument never fails to impress court and jury, and many times has won for him the verdict desired.
In 1887 occurred the marriage of Mr. Wachhorst and Miss Mary B. Johnson, a native of Indiana and a daughter of John B. Johnson, a resident of Dixon, Solano county, California. they now have three sons, donaldE., Jack B. and Thomas H. Mr. Wachhorst belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is a Royal Arch Mason. His political endorsement is given to the Republican party, with which he has affiliated since attaining his majority, and his interest in its welfare is shown by active cooperation in movements for its upbuilding. He has been a delegate to many of the city and county conventions and is quite prominent in local party ranks. He has a wide circle of acquaintances here, and that many of his warmest friends are numbered among those who have known him from boyhood is an indication that his career has ever been upright and honorable, commending him to the confidence and good will of those with whom he has been associated.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume I
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page