Edward W. Hammer, who resides on a first-class farming estate situated about five miles north of Stockton, is a native son of San Joaquin county andone of her representative and prosperous agriculturists and stock-raisers. A young man of much energy and native ability, enterprising and public-spirited not only in private affairs but in matters of citizenship, and of recognized integrity of character. Mr. Hammer has already taken a place of influence in his community and is one of the substantial and worthy citizens.
Born in San Joaquin county, April 14, 1877, he is a son of the late Michael Hammer, for so many years prominent in the county, and his wife, Dorothea (Roehic) Hammer, the father being a native of Germany and the mother a native of Alsace, which has also since become annexed to the German empire. On emigrating to this country Michael Hammer lived for a time in New York state, and in the early fifties he came out to California locating in San Joaquin county at a pioneer date. For some years he was engaged in freighting from Stockton as his headquarters to the various mining camps. Later he took up farming, and in the early seventies settled on the ranch which is now occupied by his son Edward. He was well known in the county, and made an excellent success in his material career. He died in August, 1897, and his wife had passed away in May, 1895. He was a Democrat in politics, and as a supporter of the public schools and all phases of community progress and improvement he was among the most honored of San Joaquin county's early citizens, enjoying to the utmost the confidence and esteem of all his fellow men. Furthermore, he was entitled to credit as having been a self-made man, one who had received only a fair amoung of schooling in his native tongue and through practical industry and steady application had made his way to success. Of the six children in his family, five are surviving: Andrew, William F., Carrie J., deceased, George a., Edith M., wife of J. F. Dolan, and Edward W.
Mr. Edward W. Hammer was reared to man's estate on the old homestead, obtaining most of his education in the public schools of Stockton. His farm consists of one hundred and sixty acres, all of which is under cultivation, and devoted to general agriculture and stock-raising. He is very progressive in his enterprices, and by thorough experience and self-reliance is gaining a most creditable success in his undertakings. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Foresters at Stockton.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page