Frank A. Schulze, a representative agriculturist and also the owner of a combined harvester, which he operates during the season in Sacramento county, was born in this county, July 12, 1865, and is a son of William J. and Louise Schulze, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father is now deceased, but the mother is living in her sixty-third year, her home being on North Vine street, in Oak Park, a suburb of the city of Sacramento. The father came to this county at a very early period in its development and improvement and for a time conducted a general blacksmithing shop at Sheldon, having learned the trade in early life. Subsequently he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits near Sheldon, and there he lived for several years, but ultimately retired from active business cares and took up his abode on Vine street, in Oak Park, where he passed away October 27, 1853. He owed his success entirely to his own efforts, for he started out in life empty-handed. He here countenanced no obstacles, however, that could be overcome by determined and earnest purpose, and gradually he worked his way upward until he became one of the men of affluence in his adopted county. Of his children the following now survive: William M., who is living in Sacramento countu; Frank A.; Louisa, the wife of Peleg H. Smith, of Sacramento county, California; John L., also living in Sacramento county; Edward G., of the same county; Minnie B., and Lena, also of Sacramento county. The father left with his family a valuable estate, which was the visible evidence of his life of enterprise, careful management, and unfaltering diligence. He was a Republican in his political views and he neglected no duty of citizenship or business life, nor was he ever forgetful of any obligation that rested upon him in other relations. In his death Sacramento county lost one of its honored and substantial citizens.
Frank A. Schulze was reared to manhood on his father's ranch and pursued his education in the Pleasant Grove school. He was early trained to the work of the farm, and for several years he was engaged in general agricultural pursuits and is also operating a combined harvester at the time when the grain is ready for cutting. This is run by a gasoline engine and is one of the modern improvements which to-day render the labor of the agriculturist so much lighter.
On the 25th of October, 1893, occurred the marriage of Mr. Schulze and Miss May E. McDermott, of Sacramento county, a daughter of John McDermott, who is living near Mills Station, in this county. One child, born March 24, 1905, is named Melvin. Mr. Schulze belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Florin. He has a wide acquaintance in his native county, and the fact that many who have known him from boyhood to the present time are numbered among his staunchest friends, is an indication that his has been an honorable career.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page