Frederick G. Cary has made for himself a fine business and industrial record at Lodi, San Joaquin county. He is a member of the firm of Cary Brothers, of that place, expert and successful contractors and buildings, and he is also superintendent of the Lodi water works and the electric light plant. His period of useful residence and activity in Lodi began in 1893, but he has practically grown up and spent all his active life in this state.
He was born in DeKalb county, Indiana, May 25, 1868, at the town of Waterloo. He was a son of Bart and Maria (Bigler) Cary, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Indiana. Bart Cary was a pioneer settler of Nevada, where he located early in the fifties, and he was among the first men to engage in farming in the Carson valley, where he was long known as a successful agriculturist and public-spirited citizen. He is now deceased, and his widow resides at Lodi, California.
Only the first two years of Mr. Cary's life were spent in his native state, and from then on until he was eleven years old he lived with his parents in the Carson valley of Nevada. Since the age of eleven he has been a resident of California, the family home being established for a time at San Jose and then at Petaluma in Sonoma county, where he grew to majority. Most of his education was obtained in the schools of San Jose and Petaluma. When sixteen years old he became an apprentice to the carpenter and buiding trade at Petaluma, and spent three years with the well known contractor, J. C. Diamond, from whom he learned the business in all its details. After he was grown his first important work in that line was as superintendent of a building contrct at Ashland, Oregon, where he spent some six months and showed his fitness for independent, reliable work in all branches of his profession. He later became foreman for Marcuse and Remels, builders at Alameda, this state, and he continued in that capacity for this prominent firm four years. In 1893 he located at Lodi, and in the following year the firm of Cary Brothers was instituted, consisted of Frederick G. and Edward C. Cary. Since that year they have carried on a very extensive building and contracting business in Lodi and vicinity. In connection they operate a planing mill.
Mr. Cary became associated with the Lodi water works as its superintendent in 1893, and in the following year Cary Brothers purchased the plant, Mr. Frederick Cary continuing the superintendency to the present time. The firm established in 1902 the Lodi Electric Works, and this has also been one of the important enterprises of the town.
Mr. Cary is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity at Lodi, Lodi Lodge No. 156, F. & A. M., and is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at Stockton. July 28, 1892, he was married to Miss Blanche D. Sturman, a daughter of Dr. Benjamin B. Sturman, late of San Francisco. Mr. and Mrs. Cary have one daughter, Irene.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page