Frank T. Robinson is engaged in the cultivation and further development of a ranch of one hundred and eighty acres, near Florin, in which he owns a half interest. He was born on this ranch, April 8, 1866, and is a son of William H. and Lydia E. (Smith) Robinson, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Michigan. The father came to California in 1852, by way of the isthmus route, sailing from New York, and landing at San Francisco. For a short time he was engaged in mining gold and in 1857 he settled on the ranch now occupied by his widow and son, near Florin. He was one of the pioneer residents of the locality and there remained until his death, which occurred February 22, 1897. he engaged in general agricultural pursuits and fruit growing for many years, and developed a good property. Prior to locating on the ranch he served as a policeman in Sacramento, and subsequently he was deput sheriff of the county. Viewed from a business standpoint his life was a success, for without pecuniary aid he started out for himself in early manhood and became the possessor of a comfortable competency. His political support was given the Republican party, and he was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Sacramento. He was deeply interested in local politics and community affairs and he co-operated in every movement for the general good. For some time he served as a trustee of the Florin public schools. Many friends mourned his loss, for he enjoyed to the full the confidence and respect of his fellow men and he left behind him an untarnished name. His widow and their only son still occupy the ranch. Mrs. Robinson is now more than sixty years of age and is classed with the representative pioneer women of the district.
Frank T. Robinson was reared to the practical work of the ranch. While not engaged in the duties of the school room he assisted in the development of his father's land and the cultivation of the grains and fruits there raised, and after his father's death he and his mother inherited the ranch, comprising one hundred and eighty acres, of which more than thirty acres is devoted to the raising of grapes and thirty acres is planted to strawberries, while the remainder is used for general farming purposes. He annually harvests large fruit as well as grain crops, and his place is improved with all modern facilities for caring for his fruit and for conducting the farm work in its various departments.
On the 1st of January, 1889, Mr. Robinson was united in marriage to Miss Mignonetta Smith, a native of Iowa and a daughter of William C. Smith, of Florin. Two children were born of this marriage, but only one is living: Harold W., who was born December 4, 1898. Mrs. Robinson passed away April 18, 1901, leaving behind many friends who deeply mourned her loss. She won the affectionate regard of all with whom she came in contact and her memory is dear to all who knew her.
Mr. Robinson is a member of Florin Lodge No. 364, I. O. O. F., taking an active part in its work, and for a number of years has been its treasurer, filling the position at the present time. He votes with the Republican party, but has never been a politician in the modern sense of office seeking, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business interests. His sound judgment, industry and strong purpose are salient features of his business career and they constitute the basis of his prosperity.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page