The name borne by George G. Baker is indelibly traced on the history of Sacramento county, and figures on the pages whose records perpetuate the principal events from the early days down to the present time. He was born in Lenawee county, Michigan, April 23, 1840, a son of Judge S. N. and Catherine A. (Mandeville) Baker, both natives of New York, where they were born in 1812. Accompanied by his son William M., the father made the journey by the Nicaragua route to California in 1850, at once taking up his abode in Sacramento county, where he was subsequently joined by his wife and three children, they, too, coming from Michigan by the Nicaragua route. For a short time after his arrival Judge Baker followed the varying fortunes of a gold miner at Dead Man's Hollow in Eldorado county, and in 1851 embarked in the manufacture of fanning mills in the city of Sacramento. In the following year, 1852, he again changed his occupation, at that time becoming the proprietor of a hotel in Sacramento, which he conducted until entering the grocery trade, and a short time afterward turned his attention to frming at what is now Mayhew, being thus engaged until his life's labors were ended in death, passing away on the 21st of November, 1871. He was a prominent and well know figure in the early life of Sacramento county, having served as its associate judge for several years, while for many years he was a justice of the peace, and he was familiarly known to all the old residents of his community as Judge Baker. In the days of the Whig party he gave to it his active support and co-operation, and when the Republican party was formed he joined its ranks and remained true to its principles during the remainder of his life. Of the children born to this worthy old pioneer couple, three survive: William M., a well known resident of Auburn, California; George B.; and Frances L., the widow of Dr. W. S. Manlove, late of Sacramento county. For many years Judge Baker was numbered among the representative citizens of the county, and in his death the community felt that an irreparable loss had been sustained.
George B. Baker is principally indebted to the public schools of Sacramento county for the educational training which he received in his youth, for he was but a lad of eleven years when his mother and her three children joined the father in the Golden state in 1851. Since that time he has resided near Mayhew, where he has made for himself a leading place in business circles. At the present time and for a number of years past he has served as a trustee of the Brighton school district, the cause of education finding in him a helpful friend. On the 14th of September, 1865, Mr. Baker was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Bowles, a native daughter of Sacramento county, where she was born in 1851. Her parents were James S. and Martha A. (Winters) Bowles, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Illinois. Both came to California in 1849, where they were married on the 28th of February, 1850, and were long numbered among the honored pioneers of Sacramento county. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Baker, four of whom are now living: George H., Clinton M., Samuel S. and Nellie C. Mr. Baker is an excellent business man, and has gained for himself a handsome competence, which places him among the substantial residents of the community.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page