Dr. George Grant Gere, who is occupying the chair of surgery in the California Medical College in San Francisco, was born on the 27th of December, 1848, in New York. The family is of English lineage and was established in the new world about 1600 by representatives of the name who settled in Massachusetts. Horatio Nelson Gere, the father of Dr. Gere, was a farmer by occupation and in early life also engaged in teaching school. He married Miss Juliana D. Grant, a native of New York and a representative of an old American family descended from Mathew Grant, who settled in Windsor, Connecticut, early in the seventheen century. To Mr. and Mrs. Horatio N. Gere were born five sons and two daughters.
Dr. Gere, spending his boyhood days under the parental roof, pursued his education in the common and high schools of New York and Nebraska, having in the meantime accompanied his parents on their removal to the latter state. He was a youth of sixteen years when, in February, 1865, he enlisted in Company F of the First Nebraska Volunteer Cavalry under Colonel Thayer, thus serving until the close of the war. He continued afterward with his company, which was engaged in fighting Indians in Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and Kansas. In 1866 he returned to his father's home in Nebraska and resumed his education, but his desire to serve his country in a military capacity was not yet quelled, and in 1868 he enlised in the militia and again went to central Nebraska and Kansas in order to crush out the insurrection among Indians in those sections of the country. He was in active service for about six months, after which he returned hom. In 1870 he was appointed deputy United States marshal and took the census of the locality in which he resided.
Determined upon a professional career and having already studied medicine several years under the tuition of Dr. A. S. Steward, Dr. Gere in the fall of 1870 matriculated in the Eclectic Medical Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio, and was graduated with the class of 1871. He engaged in practice in Nebraska for four years, from 1871 until 1875, and in the fall of the latter year removed to Utah, where he entered upon a successful professional service. In 1877, however, he came to California, settling first in Tulare county, where he entered upon professional duties that have since occupied his time and attention. He has enjoyed a constantly growing practice and at the same time has ably served the profession as a medical educator. On removing to this city he accepted the chair of anatomy in the California Medical College, being thus a representative of its faculty from 1881 until 1886. In the latter year he was appointed to the chair of surgery, which he has occupied continuously since. He has a clear, concise and forcible style in his lectures and a ready adaptability which enables him to impress upon the minds of his students the essential thoughts concerning surgery, which he wishes to convey.
In 1890 Dr. Gere was united in marriage to Miss S. J. Wood, a native of New York, as was her father, William H. Wood, who settled in California about 1863. Dr. and Mrs. Gere have become the parents of four children: Harrison, Florence C., George G. and Raymond. The doctor is a member of the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias lodge and a number of other fraternal societies. He likewise belongs to Lincoln Post, G. A. R., of which he served a surgeon for a number of years. His effort and talent, however, have chiefly been directed in the line of his chosen calling, and that he ranks high with the profession is indicated by the fact that for two years he wa honored with the presidency of the California Eclectic Medical Society. For twenty years he was a member of the board of examiners of the Eclectic Medical Society of the state of California, and in 1901, following the passage of the new medical law, he became a member of and is the present secretary of the board of medical examiners of this state. To a man of Dr. Gere's nature mediocrity would be utterly impossible, and throughout his professional career his labors have been characterized by continued advance along scientific lines. He has carried his investigation far beyond that of the average practitioner and as an educator and active member of the medical profession has made for himself an honored name and gained a position of distinction.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page