George H. Cutter, one of the most prominent fruit men in Sacramento county and interested in all departments of that greatest of California industries, is a native of the state, and has given his best years nd most generous efforts to the welfare of his own particular line of business and the advancement of all interests of the public and state. he is one of the leaders in the movements for better public highways, and will always be remembered in Sacramento county for his work in this connection. And he has also been interested in the work of education. He has been one of the most active in organizing the fruit-growers of the state and promoting by this and every means possible the industry for which the state is probably best known to the outside world.
Mr. Cutter was born in San Francisco, November 22, 1864. His father, R. S. Cutter, was born in Jefferson, New Hampshire, of an old American family of English descent and of Revolutionary stock. He came to California by way of the isthmus in 1853, and for a time engaged in the butcher business, afterward went to the mines of Mexico, and in 1869 located at Sacramento and followed farming during the remainder of his life, which came to a close in 1873. He was prominent in politics. His wife, Jennie E. (Wells) Cutter, a native of Maine and of English descent, is still living in Sacramento county. Four of their children are living: George H., Edwin P. B., and Eugene G., who are all associated in farming; and Miss Lillie B.
Mr. Cutter was educated in the public schools of Sacramento and at the Atkinson Business College. In the meantime he worked off and on at farming the home place, and at the age of nineteen, with his brothers, devoted his whole energies to that pursuit. His father began with forty acres, but the brothers have built up a fine estate of one hundred acres of cultivated land and one hundred and sixty acres in timber, besides other holdings and investments in the county. The land on the river is alluvial soil, and some of the best in the county. They grow fruit, alfalfa and some vegetables, and have recently planted large numbers of trees.
Mr. Cutter has been an active Republican, having represented the party at several county conventions. He was deputy county assessor under R. D. Irvine in 1894-5. He was clerk of the American River school board for two terms, six years, and it ws through his efforts that a graded public school was obtained for the district. He built nearly all the macadamized roads in the county under the administration of his father-in-law, William Curtis, during the eight years from 1893 to 1901, and he has always been foremost in all movements for good roads.
Mr. Cutter was appointed horticultural commissioner of Sacramento county by the board of supervisors in 1898 and is still serving, in which capacity he has done much to promote fruit interests and keep out fruit diseases from the county, his duties requiring him to look out for the health of trees. He was also appointed state guardian by the state board of horticulture, and is still the incumbent of that position.
He was one of the organizers of the California Fruit Exchange, having been on the organization committee andone of the first directions, and since its inception four years ago has been serving as vice president, being now in his second term. A. R. Sprague is president. The Exchange is a co-operative growers' organization to handle their own fruit, and its great work has been to put the growers on equality with the shipper or middleman. It is composed of local organizations throughout the state, and these latter assemble the fruit and turn it over to the Exchange. The Exchange does its own buying and selling, and the profits go immediately to the producers. In 1903 it handled over seven hundred thousand dollars' worth of fruit. Mr. Cutter has given all his spare time to this work.
He is also numbered among the organizers of the Growers' Co-operative Agency at San Francisco, which has been running successfully for two years and which deals with products from all over the state. Mr. Cutter is a director of the local association.
Mr. Cutter has just formed the firm of Cutter, Tupper and Company, an express business, with headquarters at New Castle, whose object is to handle fruit to be expressed. This is an original idea of Mr. Cutter's, and he is president of the company. He has taken great interest in all Sacramento improvements, and is vice president of the Sacramento Arbor Club and president of the East Sacramento Improvement Club. He was among those foremost in securing a suburban electric line from J street two miles into the country, and a bonus of fifty-five hundred dollars has already been raised, and the railroad has accepted the offer.
He is a member of the Pact, which is a secret organization for the protection of growers against extortionate freight and labor charges and other undue advantages, thus serving as a "regulator." For two years he was manager of the Fruit Growers' Association fruit house at New Castle.. Fraternally he is a member of the independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Cutter was married in Sacramento, December 26, 1892, to Miss Carrie M. Curtis, a native of Sacramento and a daughter of William Curtis, who is an old-time Californian and one of the first farmers in Sacramento valley, and an ex-supervisor. One son has been born of this marriage, Curtis Harold Cutter, who is in school.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page