George J. Leffler, agriculturist and vineyardist residing about nine miles northeast from Stockton, has the distinction of being one of the oldest living native sons of San Joaquin county, where he was born May 16, 1852, at a time when the county presented a very marked contrast in appearance and state of development to its present condition. He had devoted his lif efforts very successfully to farming pursuits, and is one of the best representatives of that class in the county. His home place contains eighty-seven acres, eighteen acres of which is devoted to the cultivation of fine varieties of table grapes, and the rest to general farm operations. About a mile and a half north of this farm he owns another tract of fifty-one and a third acres, which he has also brought into a valuable state of cultivtion.
Mr. Leffler was a son of a well known and influential pioneer citizen of San Joaquin county, who was also named George J. Leffler. This old-time resident, who died in this county December 12, 1875, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, January 1, 1812. At the age of eighteen he came to America. For a short time during 1848-49 he conducted a hotel in New Orleans. In 1852 he came out to California, and after a brief experience in placer mining on the American river he settled, in the same year, in San Joaquin county, near where his son Mr. Leffler now resides, and there continued farming pursuits until the time of his death. He was one of the first men to plant a vineyard of any extent in this locality, having set out ten acres in table grapes in 1869, and he conducted this branch of his enterprise very profitably in connection with general farming. He was a prosperous and enterprising man, and his public-spirited efforts were such as to benefit the entire community. In politics he was a Republican. After he had been in this country some time he returned to his native land and was there married, in 1848, to Miss Fredericka Hecker, who was born in Germany and who survived her husband a number of years, passing away in December, 1901. There were seven children born to them, and six are living: George J.; John F., deceased; Henry G., in San Joaquin county; Francis J., in San Joaquin county; Ernest W., in San Joaquin county; Bertha, residing in Stockton, the widow of Henry Rohrbacher, late of San Joaquin county; and Ernestine F., wife of John guggolz, in Lodi.
Mr. Leffler was reared and educated in San Joaquin county, attending the old district school in his home neighborhood. From youth up he has followed farming, and is one of the public-spirited men who have helped so materially in the upbuilding of his home community. For two years he served as a trustee, and part of the time as clerk, of the Calaveras school district, and in all other local matters he has been willing to lend his aid and influence whenever they were needed. he was married in October, 1877, to Miss Frances S. Bunch, whose father was the late John Bunch of San Joaquin county.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page