This well known agriculturist and honored citizen of Sacramento county has throughout his active business lefe been prominently identified with the interests of his community, and has for many years resided on his present farm. He is now well known as the proprietor of the Elk Grove Creamery, which is one of the leading institutions in this section of the county. Although most of his life has been spent within the borders of the Golden state, he is, however, a native of Illinois, his birth occurring in Stephenson county on the 16th of March, 1845, his parents being Lewis and Maria (Orton) Colton, who were born respectively in the state of New York and Pennsylvania. In 1854 the family started for California, and on their arrival in this state first took up their abode in Nevada county, but a few years later, in 1861, removed to what is now Dayton, Nevada, which also continued as their abode for only a short time, when they returned to the Golden state and this time located in Sacramento county, on the Upper Stockton road. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Colton became the parents of six children, five of whom are still living, namely: George M., whose name introduces this review; Elizabeth, the widow of Lewis Bader and a resident of Sacramento county; Amanda C., deceased; Benjamin F., who also makes his home in Sacramento county; California, the wife of William Cluff, of San Francisco county; and Judson E., a resident of Martinez, this state.
G. M. Colton accompanied his parents on their various removals, being but nine years of age when the family took up their abode within the borders of California. In 1878 he located on the farm which he yet owns, situated near Elk Grove and containing five hundred acres of rich and fertile land, which he devotes to general agricultural pursuits and stock-raising. For about twenty years he was also extensively and successfully engaged in the threshing business, which he carried on in connection with his agricultural pursuits. For a number of years past he has made a specialty of the dairy industry, and in 1900 the Elk Grove Creamery, of which he is the owner and proprietor, was established on his ranch, and this has ever since been carried on with a high degree of success, the product of the creamery being sold principally in Sacramento. The butter there manufactured bears the well known and famous brand of Colton's M. C., Elk Grove, and is guaranteed pure creamery butter. The output of the manufactory is about one thousand pounds of butter daily, and a new creamery to be built will have a capacity of one thousand five hundred pounds daily and will be the largest one in the county. As the proprietor of this extensive concern there has come to Mr. Colton the attainment of a distinguished position in connection with the leading industries of this section, while the sterling integrity and honor of his character have gained for him the respect and confidence of men.
On the 16th of February, 1881, Mr. Colton was united in marriage to Louesa Poston, a native of Rock Island county, Illinois, and a daughter of William and Mary (Wackman) Poston, the former born in Virginia and the latter in Ohio. When but three years of age the daughter was taken by her parents to Scott county, Iowa, where she was reared to years of maturity and in 1876 came to California. Here she became the wife of G. M. Colton, and they have become the parents of four children: Blanche O., who married, May 3, 1905, Walter A. Howard, a son of Michael Howard, of Sacramento; Chester L.; Grace P. and California C. In his political affiliations Mr. Colton is an ardent Republican, and in all the affairs of the locality which tend to the promotion of its welfare he has ever manifested an active and zealous interest. In manner he is courteous and genial, and among the people with whom he has been so long connected he is popular.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page