In the days when California was first becoming known to the settlers of the east and its wonderful privileges and advantages were being utilized bu the white race, George Shearman came to the Pacific slope. For many years he has been a highly esteemed citizen of Sacramento county, residing on the Placerville road south of Folsom, where he owns a half interest in a thousand acres of land. He is a native of Monroe county, Missouri, born on the 26th of May, 1830, and is a son of John H. and Margaret (Rucker) Shearman, both natives of Virginia, where they were also reared and married.
George Shearman attained to years of maturity in his native county of Monroe, where he was early inured to the duties and labors of the farm, and farming and stock-raising have been his occupations throughout much of his active business career. On the 2d of May, 1852, he started across the plains from Missouri with ox teams and loose cattle for California, arriving at Hangtown, now Placerville, on the 18th of August following. From that time until 1859 he followed the fortunes of a gold seeker, after which he turned his attention to the cattle industry, and he is now associated in business with his step-son, B. F. Biggs, who is the manager of the ranch and also makes his home thereon. Together they own one thousand acres of land, located on the Placerville road, south of Folsom, which has been the home place of Mr. Shearman since 1859.
In 1875 he was united in marriage with Mrs. Jane Biggs, and after her death he married, in 1877, Mrs. Elizabeth Slingheiser, who is also deceased. In political matters Mr. Shearman has allied his interests with those of the Democracy, and is an active worker in the ranks of his party.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page