Numbered among the representative citizens, agriculturists and dairymen of Sacramento county is Henry Alltucker, whose fertile and well cultivated farm is located near Sheldon. From a little German home across the sea he made his way to the new world and entered upon a career which has proved eminently successful, and which has been thoroughly in harmony with the spirit of the republic. He was born in Hanover, Germany, June 4, 1844, but on reaching his majority, in 1865, he left the fatherland for the new world, residing for a short time thereafter in Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania.
The year 1867 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Alltucker in the Golden state, coming via the isthmus route, and for a time after his arrival resided in the vicinity of San Rafael. In 1868 he came to Sacramento county, and within its borders has has ever since continued to make his home. He subsequently located on a ranch which he yet owns near McConnell station, there making his home for many years, or until the fall of 1903, in which year he came to his valuable place near Sheldon, consisting of three hundred and twenty acres of rich and well cultivated land, where he is extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits and dairying. His ranch near McConnell station consists of one thousand acres, devoted to the same purposes, and in this occupation Mr. Alltucker has met with a high and well merited degree of success.
Mr. All tucker was united in marriage to Christena Olson, a native of Sweden, and they became the parents to two children: Emma, deceased, and George H., residing on his father's farm near McConnell station. On the 1st of November, 1893, Mr. Alltucker married Mrs. Susan Crosby, at the time of her marriage a resident of Sacramento county but a native of Wayne county, Pennsylvania. By her first marriage Mrs. Alltucker became the mother of two children (twins), Margaret May and John Ray. Both he and his wife are worthy members of the Presbyterian church, while in his political affiliations the former is a stanch supporter of Republican principles. For a number of years he served as a member of the board of trustees of the San Joaquin school district, in which he formerly resided, and is now serving as a member of the board of trustees of the Elk Grove Union high school, the cause of education ever finding in him a stanch and helpful friend. His social relations are with Elk Grove Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 173, of which he is a past master, is also a member of Sacramento Chapter, R. A. M., No. 3; of Sacramento Council No. 1; Sacramento Commandery No. 2; and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Elk Grove Lodge.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page