Harrison D. Wilcox, who owns a half interest in a fine ranch of four hundred and seventy-four acres situated on Deer creek near Cosumne in Sacramento county, stock-raising and general farming constituting the main industries on the ranch, was born in Jefferson county, Wisconsin, February 22, 1852. His parents were John A. and Emily (Barber) Wilcox, both natives of Rhode Island and of English ancestry. The parents settled in Jefferson county, Wisconsin, in the early forties.
Reared to man's estate in his native county, acquiring his education in the district schools and at the same time being well trained in farm work, Mr. Wilcox, at the outset of his career, was well prepared to undertake any enterprises or labor that should fall to his lot. In 1877 he came to California, and since that year has been identified very closely with the agricultural life of this state. The ranch in Sacramento county where he still resides was his first destination, the property being then owned by his uncle Lyman Wilcox, who is now deceased and who is remembered as one of the successful and highly esteemed pioneer residents of this part of the state. Coming to California in 1850, two years later he settled on Deer creek and there during the rest of his active life developed and improved a fine estate. By his death in 1893 Sacramento county was deprived of one of its most useful citizens. He was independent in political views, as he was also self-reliant and resourceful in business affairs, and his integrity commended him to all classes of men. Thus becoming associated with his uncle, Mr. H. D. Wilcox continued in his employ for several years, and then lived in several of the central California counties. Returning to Sacramento county in 1886, he has ever since been a permanent resident of the ranch on Deer creek, and since the death of his uncle has been part owner in the same and actively identified with its management. Mr. Wilcox is a Republic in politics, and gives hearty encouragement to all enterprises for the promotion of the general welfare.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page