Henry H. Dickson, a representative of that honored class of Californians who are native sons of the state and who have throughout their active careers been closely and usefully identified with the welfare of their respective communities, has been a life-long resident of Sacramento county and is a prosperous farmer and vineyardist, having a beautiful farmstead on the Middle Stockton road near Elk Grove, where he has been located since 1884. His estate continas a quarter section of land, and of this forty-five acres is devoted to viticulture, his "Mission" grapes being of the very highest quality. The rest of his farm is devoted to general agriculture.
Mr. Dickson was born in Sacramento county, October 28, 1862, his parents being Charles and Frederika (Staples) Dickson, both native Germans. Charles Dickson, who died in Sacramento county in 1898, was a pioneer Californian, for many years a successful farmer, and a man of worth and high character in all of life's relations. He was born in Brunswick, Germany, July 2, 1818, a son of Anton and Catherine Dickson, and lived in the fatherland until 1850, when he took passage for America. After spending about a year in Pittsburg, St. Louis and in the state of Illinois, he crossed the plains to California, driving ox teams and stock. He spent about eighteen months in San Joaquin county, and then began farming and stock-raising in Sacramento county, where in 1856 he purchased a good ranch near Elk Grove and continued his industrious labors until death called him hence, when eighty years of age. His wife died in 1896. In politics he was independent, was interested in schools and good roads and all other enterprises for the welfare of his community, and is remembered as one of the substantial men who helped to make Sacramento county what it is to-day. He and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Elk Grove. Of their children six survive: George W., of Portland, Oregon; Charles A., in Sacramento county; Frederika, wife of August Schwendiek, of Sacramento; Henry H.; Annie M.; in Sacramento county; and Frederick H., in Sacramento county.
Mr. Henry H. Dickson was educated in the public schools of Sacramento county, and as soon as he was ready to enter upon active life he began farming pursuits, which he has continued with gratifying success down to the present time. On October 4, 1884, he was married to Miss Amelia Staple, a native of Germany. mr. Dickson lost his good wife by death on June 28, 1902. She was one of the estimable women of her neighborhood, and was a member of the German Lutheran church. Two sons were born of their marriage, Alfred S. and Walter H., but the former is deceased. Mr. Dickson has shown himself to be a stanch friend of education and has served as a trustee of the school district in which he resides. Politically he maintains independent views.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page