HENRY T. OGDEN


For a number of years Henry T. Ogden has occupied a conspicuous place among theleading business men of San Joaquin county. His career has ever been that of an honorable, enterprising and progressive business man, whose well-rounded character has enabled him to take an active interest in educational, social and moral affairs. During the Civil war he was numbered among the boys in blude, and at all times is a loyal citizen, true to the interests of county, state and nation.

Henry T. Ogden is a native of Harrison county, Ohio, born March 6, 1842, his parents being Robert B. and Mary (Foster) Ogden. The father was a native of Virginia, but when about ten years of age accompanied his parents on their removal to Harrison county, Ohio, where he grew to years of maturity. In 1849, accompanied by his family, he took up his abode in Dubuque county, Iowa, and his death occurred in Jones county, that state, in 1866. His son Henry T. was but seven years of age at the time of the removal of his parents to Dubuque county in 1849, and from there, in September, 1861, he enlisted for service in the Civil war, entering Company A, Ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and during his military career participated in the battle of Arkansas Post, in the first attack on Vicksburg, was at the taking of Jackson, the capital city of Mississippi, and subsequently went to Vicksburg, during the beginning of the siege, and on the second day, May 19, 1863, was wounded in the right shoulder. Thus incapacitated for duty, he spent about six months in the hospitals of memphis and St. Louis, and was honorably discharged from the service January 1, 1864.

Returning to Dubuque county, Iowa, he there remained but a short time and then went to Jones county, that state, whence after a brief stay he removed to Iowa county, Iowa. From the last-named place, in 1883, Mr. Ogden came to California, first taking up his abode in Merced county, where for several years he was engaged in grain farming. Since 1892 he has resided on his present valuable homestead in San Joaquin county, located near Acampo, and which consists of seventy acres, devoted to fruit-raising. Forty acres of the place is planted with peach trees, mainly of the Nuir variety, but also containing the Philip King and early Crawford varieties. Ten acres of the place is devoted to almonds, under bearing, the same amount to apricots, and he raises a variety of prunes. Other business interests have also claimed his attention, and throughout his active business career he has been most faithful to the ethics of commercial life, meeting fully every obligation and dealing most fairly and honorably at all times.

On the 1st of May, 1864, Mr. Ogden was united in marriage to Augusta J. Smith, a native daughter of that state, and they have five children, Addison L., Elmer E., Vernon L. and Leon, all four sons being well known and successful educators, and the only daughter, Florence L., is the wife of Harry Adams. At the present time Mr. Ogden is serving as a member of the board of trustees of the Houston school district, the cause of education ever finding in him a warm and faithful friend. He is a member of the Masonic order at Woodbridge, is a member of Hartford Post, G. A. R., at Lodi, and is a Republican in his political affiliations. He is numbered among the thoroughly practical and successful fruit-growers of San Joaquin county, and commands the uniform confidence and respect of the business community in which he makes his home.

Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II

The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine


Return to Biographies Index, Volume II

Return to California AHGP home page

Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page