For many years Isaac Newton Wilson occupied a conspicuous place among the leading agriculturists of Sacramento county. His career was that of an honorable, enterprising and progressive business man, whose well-rounded character also enabled him to take an active interest in educational, social and moral affairs, and to keep well informed concerning the questions affecting the welfare of the nation. In all life's relations he commanded the respect and confidence of those with whom he came in contact, and the memory of his upright life is an inspiration to the many friends who knew him and who were familiar with his virtues.
Mr. Wilson was a native of Illinois, born in January, 1826, and was reared to man's estate in the place of his nativity. When twelve years of age he was deprived by death of a mother's care, and he was thereafter reared in the family of a paternal uncle in Illinois. In 1849, in companu with his father and two brothers, he crossed the plains with ox teams to California, and after his arrival engaged in freighting from Sacramento to the mines. In 1853 he took up his permanent abode on his ranch near White Rock, on Carson Creek, Sacramento countu, at that time being in partnership with his brother, Egbert L. Wilson, of of Sacramento county's early and honored pioneers, and with whom he carried on general farming and stock-raising until 1863. In that year the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Wilson afterward carried on the business alone. The farm contains two hundred and forty acres of rich and fertile land, there Mrs. Wilson and her son George F. still reside and carry on its work, the ranch being devoted to general farming pursuits and stock-raising. For a number of years Mr. Wilson served as a justice of the peace in Natoma township, and his political support was given to the Republican party. His last days were spent on the old homestead farm, and there he closed his eyes in death march 21, 1878. A popular factor in social life, a faithful friend, a kind husband and father, he left behind him an untarnished record.
On the 23d of March, 1866, Mr. Wilson married Mrs. Eliza Manning, the widow of Thomas Manning, whose death occurred in Sacramento county, whee he had made his home for many years. She is a native of county Wicklow, Ireland, born on the 20th of September, 1839, and is a daughter of William and Sarah Manning, both also natives of the Emerald Isle. Before leaving her native land she was married to Thomas Manning, the wedding being celebrated Augusut 17, 1859, and shortly afterward they came to America. After their arrival here they continued the journey to California by the isthmus route, arriving in the Golden state in 1859, and established their residence near White Rock, Sacramento county, where Mr. Manning died November 11, 1864. They were the parents of three children--William L., a resident of Reno, Nevada; George H., of Sacramento county; and Sarah E., the wife of H. H. Dunning, of Marysville, California. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson was blessed with four children, namely: Geore F., who resides with his mother on the old home farm; Ada B., the wife of Alfred J. Smith, of Eldorado county; Mary Alice, wife of Ralph Ulysses Kyburz, of San Francisco; and Agnes K., also of that city. The eldest son, George F. Wilson, is a member of the Native Sons of the Golden West, Granite Parlor No. 83, of Folsom, of which he is a past president. He is a Republican in his political affiliations, and as its representative has served his township of Natoma as a constable and justice of the peace. He has also served as a trustee of the Carson Creek joint school district, and is recognized as one of Sacramento county's successful and popular agriculturists.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page