Since a lad of twelve years John C. Gerlach has made his home in San Joaquin county, where he is known as a prominent and enterprising agriculturist, making his home near San Joaquin Bridge. He is a native of New York city, born on the 20th of November, 1853. His parents were Conrad W. and Mary (Krouse) Gerlach, the former born at Frankfort-on-the-Main, in Germany, while the latter was also a native of the fatherland. Conrad W. Gerlach emigrated to America in 1849, landing in New York, where he made his home for a number of years, following the machinist's trade. In 1865 he came to California and was employed for a short time as a machinist in San Francisco, but in the fall of 1867 came to San Joaquin county and settled on Lone Tree creek, where he turned his attention to farming. That occupation claimed his time and energies until his death, which occurred on July 22, 1903. He made the trip to California by way of the Panama route, and through the years of his residence in San Joaquin county he was known as an active, energetic and honorable farmer, so conducting his business affairs as to win a comfortable competence, yet never taking advantage of the necessities of his fellow men in any trade transactions. He was one of the typical pioneer citizens of this county, aided in promoting its material upbuilding, and was most earnest in his advocacy of everything that he believed would contribute to general progress and improvement. His political support was given to the Republican party, and in religious faith he was a Lutheran. In his death the community lost a valued representative citizen, his neighbors a reliable friend and his family a devoted husband and father. Of his children three are yet living: Daniel H., who resides in San Joaquin county; john C., of this review; and Eliza, the wife of Theodore Henkey, of San Joaquin county.
John C. Gerlach spent the first twelve years of his life in New York city, and then accompanied his parents on their removal to the Pacific coast, arriving at San Francisco in 1865. Since the fall of 1867 he has lived in San Joaquin county, settling in the southern part of the county on Lone Tree creek. There under the parental roof he was reared to manhood, and in the public schools of New York he acquired his education, while in the practical school of experience he has also learned many valuable lessons. In his boyhood he became familiar with all the duties of the farm, and since attaining man's estate he has carried on agricultural pursuits. In 1891 he settled upon the farm which is now his home. It is located near the Mossdale school house and is a valuable tract of land, comprising five hundred and four acres. Upon it is a beautiful country home, which forms one of the attractive features of the landscape. There are good outbuildings, and in fact all modern equipments and accessories are found upon this place.
Neatness and thrift are everywhere manifest, and Mr. Gerlach is an agriculturist whose progressive methods are manifest in the fine appearance of his place and in the prosperity which has attended his efforts.
On the 22d of October, 1890, Mr. Gerlach was united in marriage to Miss Augusta F. Zeppernick, who was born in Germany and is a daughter of Peter and Mary Zeppernick, who were also natives of that country. Her father is now deceased, but her mother resides in San Francisco. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Gerlach has been blessed with five children: Edward, Elsie, Ruby, Ella and Selma. Mr. Gerlach votes with the Republican party, having firm faith in its principles as being most conducive to good government. No movement or measure tending to benefit the community seeks his aid in vain, and, in fact, he has been the champion of many interests which have for their object the welfare of San Joaquin county. For ten years he has served as a trustee of the Mossdale school district and for several years was a trustee of the Reclamation district No. 17. He has resided in San Joaquin county for more than one-third of a century, and all who know him entertain for him a warm regard which is ever accorded true worth.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page