John C. Guggolz is a well known citizen and vineyardist of near Lodi, and for the past fifteen years or more has been closely identified with the activities of San Joaquin county. Although not of the pioneer class and still a young man in years, he is typically Californian and has made himself as necessary a part of the social and industrial community where he resides as if he had been here from the earliest days.
In nationality a stanch German-American, Mr. Guggolz was born in the province of Baden, August 5, 1864, a son of Christian and Caroline (Ruppman) Guggolz, natives of Germany, the father still living and the mother deceased. He received a fair education in the German language and became acquainted with the practical side of life in his early years. In 1882, when a vigorous youth of eighteen, he left his native land and came to America, his first place of residence being Buffalo, New York. Thence in the spring of 1886 he came out to San Francisco, where he remained a short time, and then moved to Woodland in this state. In the fall of 1890 he went to Lodi, and this locality has been his home and center of activity ever since. For some years Mr. Guggolz was engaged in the butchering business in Lodi, as a member of the firm of Guggolz Brothers. On the dissolution of this partnership in the fall of 1899 he became interested in and has since followed the grape-raising industry. For one season he was engaged in the manufacture of wines, near Lodi. His vineyard contains twenty-three acres, in which he raises large quantities of wine and table grapes, and he has been able to gain a large amount of success at this enterprise.
February 14, 1892, Mr. Guggolz married Miss Ernestine F. Leffler, a daughter of the late George J. Leffler, so well known in San Joaquin county, and detailed mention of whom is made on other pages of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Guggolz have two children, Gladys C. and Carl J. In politics Mr. Guggolz is a Republican, and he affiliates with Lodi Lodge No. 259, I. O. O. F., at Lodi.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page