John Ehrhardt is one of the representative pioneer citizens of Sacramento county, where he has carried out his business career for half a century, being a prosperous farmer and stockman. He was a boy in years when he arrived in this state, and he has made his own way in the world, having gained, through the qualities of hard work and perseverance, a worthy place in the affairs of men and material circumstances.
He is a German by birth, and was born in the fatherland on october 8, 1837, being a son of John and Dorothea Ehrhardt, who were also natives of Germany. He spent the first thirteen years of his life in Germany, in the meantime attending school and getting his first taste of the serious side of life. In 1850 he and his father came to America, and for two years more he remained in his father's home, which was established near Glasgow, Missouri.
Mr. Ehrhardt crossed the plains to the Pacific coast in the capacity of a driver of sheep, and his first destination in this state was at the town then called Hangtown, which is now Placerville. In the same year he came to Sacramento county, which has been his home and the center of his interests ever since. For a time he engaged in farming pursuits, and then for a number of years followed the sheep industry. In 1863 he located in the southern part of Sacramento county near the Mokelumne river, on the ranch which is now owned and occupied by his son Frederick W., one of the successful young ranchers of this county. In the spring of 1876 mr. Ehrhardt settled on his present place, situated about two and a half miles north of Franklin. Eight hundred acres of choice agricultural soil comprise the home place, and he also owns a tract at Union House, in the same county. General farming and cattle-raising are the branches of his industry to which he now gives particular attention, and his success is unusually great even for this garden spot of the world.
April 2, 1865, Mr. Ehrhardt married Miss Caroline Hollman, who was born in Chile, South America. By her marriage she has become the mother of eight children, as follows: George E., in Sacramento county; Frederick W., mentioned above; Henry L., in Sacramento county; William G., at Union House; John A., near Clay Station in Sacramento county; and Isabella, newton J. and Louisa E., all at home. The son Frederick W. married Maude Morse, whose father, George Morse, is a prominent farmer located three miles southeast of Franklin, Sacramento county. Frederick W. Ehrhardt has one son, Henry. He has likewise taken an active part in public affairs, having served formerly as a trustee of Franklin school district; he is a staunch Republican, and is one of the extensive landowners of Sacramento county. William G. Ehrhardt married Annie Ferguson, near Glasgow, Missouri, and has two children, Wilbur and a baby girl.
Mr. Ehrhardt affiliates with Elk Grove Lodge of the I. O. O. F., and in politics holds firmly to the cardinal beliefs and practices of the Republican party. As a self-made man and one who has fought his own battles in the world, he has practical ideas of affairs, and his public spirit is all the more useful to his community.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page