John Henry Nicolaus, who has found in farming and dairying the life pursuits which are his best sphere of action and source of greatest prosperity, has a half interest in a splendid ranch off the Lower Stockton road about twelve miles south of Sacramento, in Sacramento county, the other partner being his brother George W. Nicolaus. Nicholaus Brothers have long been known for their success and enterprise in the industrial and agricultural life of the county, and their estate of five hundred and eighty acres is acknowledged to be one of the best in this section of the state. A vineyard and a dairy are very profitable departments of their enterprise, and the rest of their land is devoted to general farming purposes.
Mr. Nicholaus is a native son of the state, having been born in Amador county, May 11, 1866, and was a son of old-time californians, George and Mary (Kerth) Nicolaus. The parents were both born in Germany, and in 1856 came to California, by the isthmus route, making settlement in Amador county, where for a time the father mined gold and then went into the butcher business at Oleta. He moved to Sacramento county in 1880 and took up his residence on the ranch now owned by the Nicolaus Brothers. He subsequently moved to a ranch near Antelope in the same county, and later to Sacramento city, where his death occurred in 1892. His widow still survives, making her home at 2201 P street, in Sacramento, she being now in her sixty-seventh year. Three of their children are still living, the two brothers already mentions, and Lillie, in Sacramento. The father was a Democrat, and affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
John Henry Nicolaus was reared in Amador and Sacramento counties, receiving his education in the schools of these counties. He early became identified with farming pursuits, and has followed that line of work up to the present time. He married, December 6, 1891, Miss Lena M. Harms. She was born in Sacramento county, a daughter of Charles and Lena M. (Dexheimer) Harms, who were both natives of Hanover, Germany. Her father came to California early in the fifties, as an early settler of Sacramento county, where he lived until his death in 1886, and his widow still resides in that county. Mr. and Mrs. Nicolaus have five children, Earl L., George W., Charles E. Helen and Lester B. Mr. Nicolaus is at this writing serving his second term as a member of the board of trustees of Prairie school district, being clerk of the board. Politically he is a Democrat, and is affiliated with Elk Grove Lodge of the Odd Fellows and with Oak Park Parlor No. 213, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page