Joseph H. Swain, who resides at 1045 North Commerce street, Stockton, which has been his home since 1892, has for many years been numbered among the prosperous and progressive farmers and stock-raisers of San Joaquin county, and previous to his removal to the city and from the year 1877 he lived on his fine ranch of two hundred and thirty acres situated five miles north of Stockton on West Lane. He is still the proprietor and active director of this estate, and its excellent improvements and thorough cultivation give it a reputation as one of the model places of the county.
Mr. Swain is himself a native son of San Joaquin county, where he has worked out his career in honorable effort to prosperous results, and he belongs to a family whose members have been influential in county affairs from pioneer days to the present. He was born January 13, 1856, being a son of the late Cornelius Swain and his wife Juliza C. (Davis) Swain, the father a native of Tennessee and the mother of Missouri. Cornelius Swain, who died at his home in Stockton in 1904, was a well known pioneer of San Joaquin county. He brought his family from Missouri to this state in 1853, crossing the plains with ox teams, and reached Stockton in the same year. He was a wagon and carriage maker, a trade which he had learned at Nashville, Tennessee, and which he followed for a time in Tennessee and Missouri and also for a short time after his arrival in Stockton. But nearly all his active career in San Joaquin county was spent in ranching on his fine estate on Cherokee Lane situated about six miles from Stockton, where he lived a life of usefulness until his removal to Stockton about ten years before his death. He was a prominent Mason, being a member of Morning Star Lodge No. 68, F. & A. M., and of the Stockton Commandery No. 8, Knights Templar, both at Stockton, and he was buried with the rites of Masonry. He was a Democrat in politics, and as the candidate of this, the minority party, some years ago ran for the office of county treasurer. He served as a trustee and clerk of the board of the Davis school district, in which he formerly resided, and he was always ready to act for the welfare and progress of his county. There are six living children of the Swain household, as follows: John A., Joseph H., Charles C., Mary B., George and Jessie.
Mr. Joseph H. Swain was reared on the well known Swain ranch in San Joaquin county, and his education was received in the public graded and high schools of Stockton, and after his school days were over he took up agricultural pursuits, which he has successfully followed to the present time. While living in the country he served for a time as a trustee of the Davis school district. He affiliates with Morning Star Lodge No. 68, F. & A. M., at Stockton, and is also a member of the Stockton Commandery No. 8, K. T. Besides this affiliation with the Masonic order he is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at Stockton, Lodge No. 218. In politics he is a Democrat, with independent proclivities, and is a member of the Christian church at Stockton.
October 2, 1878, Mr. Swain was married to Miss Nancy H. Castle, who was born in San Joaquin county. Her father, the late George H. Castle, was a well known pioneer of the county and had served as sheriff of the county. By this marriage Mr. and Mrs. Swain had five children, three of whom are living, Mabel J., George C. and Gladys O.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page