James H. Tomlinson, a practical farmer and stock-raiser of Dent township, San Joaquin county, has been a resident of California since 1878. The width of the continent separates him from his birthplace, for he was born in Lincoln county, Maine, his natal day being the 29th of September, 1857. His parents were Calvin and Mary A. (Bryar) Tomlinson, natives of the Keystone state. There the son spent the days of his boyhood and youth and in the public schools he acquired his education. He has one brother, Charles E. Tomlinson, who is a resident of California.
James H. tomlinson came to this state in 1878, when twenty-one years of age. He believed that he might have better business opportunities on the Pacific coast, where the settlements were not so numerous and competition was not so great. Accordingly he made arrangements to leave new England and, journeying across the continent, he took up his abode in San Joaquin county, where he has since resided. Throughout his life here he has engaged in agricultural pursuits, and he is to-day the owner of two hundred and fifty-six acres of valuable land devoted to the raising of grain. On this he has modern improvements, good buildings and all the accessories and conveniences which go to facilitate farm work and render the labors of the former a source of desirable profit.
In 1888 Mr. Tomlinson was united in marriage to Miss Sallie M. Poynor, a daughter of Henry L. Poynor, of San Joaquin county. They have one child, Clara M. Mr. Tomlinson exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party and while he has never sought office or political preferment of any character he is now serving as a trustee of the Wildwood school district. Matters of general interest elicit his attention, and oftentimes his hearty co-operation is given where he believes it will contribute to public progress. He enjoys the confidence of the business community and has found that in the west his hope of benefiting his financial condition has been realized, for here he has secured a good home and gained a comfortable competence.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page