John L. Poynor, a representative of agricultural and stock-raiser interests of San Joaquin county, residing in Dent township near Avena Station, settled upon his present farm about 1889. He owns two hundred and forty acres of rich land, of which one hundred and sixty acres is comprised within his homestead. He is a native of Missouri, born on the 2d of October, 1860, and is a son of Henry L. and Sarah A. (Gwynn) Poynor, of whom mention is made on another page of this work. In the state of his nativity he remained until about fourten years of age, when in 1874 he came across the plains to California with his parents, the family home being established in San Joaquin county, where he has remained continuously since. He was reared to farm life, early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist, and since attaining his majority he has engaged in farming on his own account. His success is attributable entirely to his own labors and that he is now the possessor of two hundred and forty acres of good land is an indication that his life has been an active, useful and honorable one.
On the 20th of February, 1887, Mr. Poynor was united in marriage to Miss Lucy E. Baldwin, a native of Stockton. She is a graduate of the high school of that city and for a number of terms was successfully engaged in teaching school, being classed with the capable educators of this part of the state. To Mr. and Mrs. Poynor have been born three children, Edan I., Julia G. and Nellie.
Mr. Poynor takes a deep interest in the educatinal welfare of his community and is now serving as a trustee of the Four Tree school district. In politics he is a Republican and does all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of his party, yet he has never been a politician in the sense of office seeking. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen Camp at Escalon and is a representative resident of San Joaquin county, where he has made his home from his boyhood days and where his active and useful career has gained for him the warm regard of the large majority of those with whom he has been brought in contact.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page