Joseph L. Wise, who on January 1, 1905, inaugurated the Perkins California Meat Market under the firm name of J. L. Wise and Company, conducting a general retail meat business in the town of Perkins, is a native son of Sacramento county and in the course of an active career of some twenty odd years has succeeded in establishing himself quite firmly in the business and agricultural world. Previous to his entrance into the mercantile life of Perkins he had been engaged in farming in Sacramento and other counties of the state.
Mr. Wise was born in Sacramento county, October 5, 1863, a son of Joseph and Nancy J. (Phipps) Wise, the former a native of Missouri and the latter of Iowa. These aged parents now reside at Walnut Grove, this state, being among the pioneers, and the father is now upwards of eighty years of age. The father crossed the plains with ox teams in 1852, locating in Sacramento county, and is one of the few survivors of those who came to the state in that year. He has taken an active part in the affairs of his community, was for many years a trustee of Walnut Grove school district, and several years a trustee of Reclamation district No. 455. He is a Republican in politics.
Mr. J. L. Wise was reared to manhood on his father's ranch at Walnut Grove, receiving his education in the public schools of that place and in 1884 graduating from Sacramento Business College. At the age of twenty he began farming at Walnut Grove on his own account. January 1, 1889, he located on one hundred and sixty acres of government land in Monterey county, and operated that estate for several years.
December 8, 1895, Mr. Wise married Miss Winnie M. De Jarnette, who is a native of Missouri. Two children were born to them, Joseph E., now deceased, and Laura L. Mr. Wise affiliates with the Odd Fellows at Florin, and politically has always been a Republican, casting his first vote in 1884.
Source: History of the New California - Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page