JOSEPH RUSSELL


Joseph Russell, a representative farmer and stock-raiser and a well known citizen of Sacramento county, California, resides six miles southeast of Elk Grove, where he has made his home since the fall of 1884. His is a valuable farming property, supplied with all modern equipments.

Mr. Russell was born in Perry county, Arkansas, January 21, 1857, his parents being Isaac and Lydia J. (McCain) Russell, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of North Carolina. In the year 1860 they started westward from their old home in Arkansas to California, and for a short time made their home in the vicinity of Florin, Sacramento county. Subsequently they settled near Franklin in the same county, and there the parents spent their remaining days. Isaac Russell was a well known early settler of that locality, and his work was widely acknowledged because of the helpful part which he had taken in the early development of his locality and because of his trustworthiness in business affairs. He died in theyear 1903, and his wife passed away in the same year. His political allegiance was given the Democratic party, and while residing in Perry county, Arkansas, he was several times called to public office. He served as county clerk there and was also associate judge discharging the duties of both positions with promptness and fidelity. Of his children the following are yet living: George, a resident of Calaveras county, California; William B., who makes his home in Stockton, this state; Joseph, whose name introduces this review; Sarah E., the wife of George Morse, who resides near Franklin, California; Mary M., the wife of Arthur Webb, whose hom is near the Union House in Sacramento county; and Louisa J., the wife of Philip Havaland, who resides near Elk Grove, California.

Joseph Russell was only about three years of age when brought by his parents to California, the journey being made across the plains. Their destination was Sacramento county, and after traveling for many weeks they arrived safely in this part of the state. Here Joseph Russell was reared to manhood under the parental roof, and was indebted to the public-school system of the county for the educational privileges which he enjoyed and which fitted him for life's practical duties. He remained with his parents until about eighteen years of age and then started out on his own account. Under his father's direction he had gained accurate knowledge of the best methods of raising crops and stock and he has since devoted his attention to its business. His ranch is located about six miles from Elk Grove, and it has been his place of abode since 1884. It comprises five hundred and seventy-five acres located on the Cosumne river. The greater part of his land is highly cultivated, and the remainder is devoted to pasturage purposes for the stock.

On the 22d of January, 1884, Mr. Russell was united in marriage to Miss Lydia Gross, a native of San Luis Obispo county, California. They now have five children: Gilbert H., Joseph C., Effie M., Frank C. and Forrest. In the community where they reside they are well known, and their own pleasant home is a most hospitable one, in which good cheer reigns supreme. Mr. Russell is a Democrat and he has served for a number of years as a trustee of the Davis school district and also as a member of the board of trustees of the Elk Grove Union high school, representing the Davis district on that board. He belongs to Elk Grove Lodge No. 173, F. & A. M., and is in hearty sympathy with the tenets and teachings of the craft. As he has resided at Sacramento county from early boyhood he has a wide acquaintance within its borders, and the fact that many of his stanchest friends are numbered among those who have known him from his youth to the present is indicative of the fact that his has been an honorable and straightforward career.

Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II

The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine


Return to Biographies Index, Volume II

Return to California AHGP home page

Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page