James S. Chatterton, a well known citizen and prominent agriculturist of northern Sacramento county, where he owns a valuable ranch of two hundred and thirteen acres, is a native of New Jersey, born on the 28th of June, 1845, a son of John and Hannah E. (Hicks) Chatterton. The father claimed New York as the state of his nativity, where he was born in 1802. In 1849, via the isthmus route, he started on the long journey from new York to California, but owing to a delay at the isthmus he did not reach this state until 1850. He was a coach blacksmith by occupation both as a journeyman and for himself. For a time he also served as foreman for the California Stage Company in their blacksmith shop at Sacramento, and did the blacksmith work on the first carriage built in that city, for Dr. Morse, who in his day was a well know physician there. Later Mr. John Chatterton served as foreman of the company's shop at Marysville, to which place it had been removed from Sacramento, and there the California Stage Company finally abandoned the business. The later years of his life were spent on the ranch which is now the home of his son James S. in northern Sacramento county, where his life's labors were finally ended in death, but his memory is still cherished by those who knew him best. Of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. John Chatterton three are now living: John W., a resident of Oregon; Gertrude H., the wife of A. Keithly, of Sacramento county; and James S. In his political connections Mr. John Chatterton was a Republican, and took a deep interest in local political affairs, but ws never an aspirant for office. He was a man of deep sympathies and broad humanitarian principles, faithful to his friends and devoted to his family. In his death California lost one of her honored early pioneers.
In 1854 James S. Chatterton came with his mother and two sisters from New York to California over the isthmus route, and on arriving in the Golden state made their way at once to Sacramento. In 1856 the family home was established on the present Chatteton farm, where the son James was reared to mature years and has ever since continued to reside. This old homestead, to which he is tenderly attached by many associations of his youth, consists of two hundred and thirteen acres of rich and fertile land, where he is extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits and stock-raising. In his business methods he is systematic, upright and just, winning the approval of those with whom he has dealings.
Mr. Chatterton was united in marriage to Miss Emma Winters, who bore him one son, Harry S., at present a medical student at Nashville, Tennessee. For his second wife Mr. Chatterton chose Miss Kaate B. Moore, a native of California, and she has become the mother of six children, five now living: Irene, John S., James F., Fannie L. and Edgar C., all at home. The daughter Irene is a member of Roseville Grange No. 161, P. of H. The wife and mother of this family died on the 21st of October, 1894. Although independent in his political views, Mr. Chatterton gives his preference to Republican principles, and has served as trustee of the Center school district. He enjoys the regard of his fellow men, and is widely and favorably known in Sacramento county, where he has so long resided.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page