John S. Harney, whose estate is situated on Harney Lane, near Lodi, has been one of the progressive and enterprising citizens of San Joaquin county since 1868, and his present ranch has been his place of residence since 1872. He is very well known in his community, his name having been given to the thoroughfare which runs by his estate, and he was among the first settlers in that locality of the county. A successful man in material affairs, he is also imbued with the civic responsibility which contributes most to the general welfare, and he has long been recognized as one of the men of worth and substantiality in San Joaquin county.
Mr. Harney belongs to the stanch Swiss-American citizenship of this country. He was born in Switzerland, November 10, 1842, being a son of Henry and Martha (Morey) Harney, both of whom lived and died in their native republic, the father passing away at the age of sixty-two and the mother when eighty years old.
Reared in his native country, Mr. Harney received a fair education in both the French and German tongues, and since coming to America he has gained a considerable knowledge of our language. In 1865 he took passage at Havre, France, and after a voyage on a sailing vessel lasting for thirty-nine days landed in New York city. In Switzerland he had learned in a methodical and thorough fashion the carriage and wagon making trade, and at Salem, Ohio, and in various other parts of the Union, and subsequently at Quincy, Illinois, he followed this trade. In 1867 he left Illinois and cross the plains to Oregon, and was employed for a time in Portland, whence he came down to San Francisco and Oakland. In 1868 he took up his abode in San Joaquin county, and for several years followed his trade in the employ of the late William P. Miller, of Stockton. In 1872 he went into agricultural pursuits on his own account, and since that year has lived on his fine place on Harney Lane. He is noted as one of the successful alfalfa growers of the county, and deservedly so since he has cut as many as seven crops per annum from his fields. He also carries on a considerable dairy plant, and in all his various undertakings has enjoyed a large success.
October 13, 1869, Mr. Harney was married in this state to Miss Mary C. Willer, who was born in Prussia, and came to America and California in 1868, having been a resident of San Joaquin county down to date. Mr. and Mrs. Harney have seven children: Margaret M., wife of John F. Stein, in Lodi; Johanna C., wife of Oscar H. Wells, in San Andreas, this state; Caroline M., wife of Harry M. Menking, in Stockton; Lucile A., wife of Frank E. Lieginger, of Stockton; Henry W., at home; Marie C., and Wilhelmina S., also at home. Mr. Harney is an independent Democrat, and lends his support to religious institutions, although not a member of any church.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page