Joseph W. Fowler, a son of the late Joseph M. Fowler, so well known in the history of San Joaquin county, is himself a representative agriculturist of the same county. A member of the younger class of Californians, a native son of the state in fact, enterprising and progressive in all departments of his activity and possessed of an eminent degree of public spirit in all that pertains to the general welfare, Mr. Fowler has for some years held a position of influence among his fellow citizens and has gained the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has relations.
Mr. Fowler was born in San Joaquin county, October 28, 1862, his birthplace being the Fowler ranch, which adjoins the farm which he now owns. He was reared in his native county, and received his education in the Lafayette public school district, in which he still resides, and he also subsequently attended the Pacific Business College at San Francisco. He has since followed with much success farming in its various departments, raising grain and stock principally, and his place of three hundred and twenty acres, located on the Davis road about eleven miles north of Stockton, is a model of its kind and under Mr. Fowler's management has proved very profitable. This place was formerly owned by E. J. McIntosh, of Lodi, who is one of the pioneers of San Joaquin county.
Mr. Fowler was married December 28, 1898, to Miss Bessie B. Tredway, a daughter of William H. Tredway, a well known citizen of San Joaquin county represented elsewhere on these pages. Mr. Fowler is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the Native Sons of the Golden West at Stockton, while his wife has been associated with the Native Daughters of the Golden West at Lodi. They are both well known and esteemed in the social circles of the county, and possess the substantial qualities of worth which make for the highest welfare of home and society.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page