Mrs. Malinda A. White, who is one of the pioneer women of San Joaquin county, resides about ten miles north of Stockton, where she owns an excellent ranch of one hundred and ninety-five acres, all under cultivation. She is a good business manager, and since her husband's death has most creditably borne the obligations and duties laid upon her by that event. She has lived in California since 1853, when she and the other children accompanied their parents across the plains from Arkansas and located in San Joaquin county.
Mrs. White was born in Independence county, Arkansas, June 4, 1843, being a daughter of Miles and Martha J. (Read) Williams, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Ohio. The Williams ancestry were of Welsh lineage. Miles Williams was a pioneer of San Joaquin county, having settled on what was known as the Woodbridge road, several miles north of Stockton, in 1853, and living there until his death in 1873. His wife survived him until 1900.
Mrs. White was reared in San Joaquin county, finishing her education in the public schools, and also for a time she attended a private school conducted by Rev. Dr. Hunt at Stockton. June 12, 1860, she was married to William B. White, and their happy union lasted for more than forty years, being terminated by the death of Mr. White on January 7, 1901. They were the parents of five children, as follows: Adelaide B., deceased; Avery C., a well known attorney of Stockton; Walter B., a farmer in San Joaquin county; Merchant B., the well known bridge contractor of Stockton; Allie M., wife of Robert L. Beuter, of Stockton.
William B. White was born near New Bedford, Massachusetts, March 20, 1830, a son of Merchant and Addie (Allen) White, his parents being natives of New England and his father's people being English and his mother's Scotch. Mr. White was one of the California forty-niners, and in his death San Joaquin county lost one of her foremost pioneer citizens. He came around the Horn to this state in 1849, and for a time mined for gold. He returned to Massachusetts in 1852, but in 1854 came back to the Pacific slope, this time by the isthmus route. He located in San Joaquin county and from 1854 to 1860 engaged in stock-raising, after which he devoted his attention to general agriculture. In 1871 he settled on the ranch where Mrs. White now resides, and remained there until his death. He was a member of the San Joaquin County Society of California Pioneers, and was affiliated with the lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Woodbridge. Mrs. White is a member of Flora Lodge of the Rebekahs at Lodi, and is otherwise well known and highly esteemed in her neighborhood.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page