Morris H. Grattan, who resides on West Lane about four miles north of Stockton, is known as one of the most successful and enterprising farmers and stock-raisers of San Joaquin county. His farm of one hundred and sixty acres is highly cultivated, and has been well managed and a constant source of profit ever since it came into the hands of Mr. Grattan. He has also been influential in community affairs, and has done his share toward making San Joaquin county an ideal place from an educational, moral and social standpoint.
Mr. Grattan is a native son of San Joaquin county, where he was born April 12, 1857, his parents being John and Sarah J. (Davis) Grattan. John Grattan is one of the very few California forty-niners who still survive the passage of years and reside in San Joaquin county. Born in New York state, July 4, 1827, being the son of a native of Ireland, he came around the Horn to California in 1849, and for a short time was engaged in gold mining. He subsequently went into farming and stock-raising, and settled on what has for long years been known as the Grattan ranch, situated on Cherokee lane a few miles north of Stockton. He sold ths property a few years aog, and is now residing with his son Morris H. He is an honored member of the San Joaquin Society of California Pioneers, is a Republican in politics, and for a number of years served as a trustee of the Davis school district. Fraternally he is a member of both the Odd Fellows and Masonic orders in Stockton. He lost his wife, Sarah J. (Dvis) Grattan, in 1896, and of the six childten born to them the only one now living is Morris H. Grattan.
Reared in San Joaquin county and receiving his education in the schools of his neighborhood and in the Stockton high school, Mr. Grattan has since led an active and profitable career in this section of the state. For two years he was a clerk in the well-known grocery establishment of Southworth and Grattan, a firm that some years ago did a large business in Stockton. But most of his time and attention has been devoted to agricultural pursuits. In the fall of 1884 he went to Stanislaus county, and was farming there until 1902, in which latter year he returned to San Joaquin county and located upon the ranch which he still owns and conducts. His place is irrigated by a lateral branch extending from the main canal of the Woodbridge Irrigation Company.
Mr. Grattan was married January 1, 1890, to Miss Edith L. Brownell, of Shasta county, where her father, Fred Brownell, is now a resident but formerly lived in San Joaquin county. Mr. and Mrs. Grattan have three children: Roland B., Edith L. and Beulah M. Mr. Grattan is a stanch supporter of the public school system, and at this writing is serving as a trustee of the Lincoln school district.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page