Michael Pickett, by whose death on November 6, 1888, Sacramento county lost one of her stanchest and most public-spirited citizens, spent the last quarter century of his career in this state and gained for himself an excellent name in all the affairs by which he became known to his fellow citizens and business associates. He was quiet and industrious, minding his own affairs and devoting himself to home and family, by whom his memory will always be fondly cherished.
He was one of the able Irish-American citizens of this county, and was born in Ireland about 1825, so that he was sixty-three years of age at the time of his death. He had come to America when sixteen years old, and after spending some time in New York state he went to Massachusetts, which state remained his home until his departure for California, in 1863. He arrived in this state early in 1864, and was a resident of Sacramento county from that time until his death. He devoted his energies to farming and stock-raising, also running a dairy for some years, and, although without advantages or capital at the start, became a well-to-do and much respected man. He served for some time as member and clerk of the board of trustees of the Wilson school district. He was a Democrat in politics, but with independent proclivities in such matters. He was a member of the Roman Catholic church.
Mr. Pickett was married in Massachusetts, May 16, 1860, to Miss Margaret Berry, and she now lives on the home estate at Cosumne, one of the esteemed women of Sacramento county. She was born in Franklin county, New York, May 10, 1839, a daughter of Michael and Mary (Foley) Berry, both her parents being natives of Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Pickett had six children, as follows: Garrett G., who is a prosperous and influential lawyer of Mascow, Idaho; William H., at Cosumne; Edward M., at Cosumne; Annie L., wife of Charles G. DeVore, of Forest Home, California; Theresa M., wife of Charles W. Patton, of Sacramento county; and Marguerite E., at home.
Mrs. Pickett remained in the east for some time after her husband's departure for the west, joining him in 1868, when she made the journey to this state by the isthmus route. She owns a fine estate of six hundred acres, and since her husband's death has given much care to its management. She is also a member of the Roman Catholic church.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page