Mrs. Caroline M. Smyth is a prominent representative of the pioneer women who have aided their husbands in the work of development and material progress in the Pacific coast country. She has been a resident of San Joaquin county for over forty years, and still resides on the ranch eight miles east of Stockton to which she and her husband came, as a happy bride and groom, in the year 1860.
Her husband, James H. Smyth, whose useful life came to an end on April 19, 1885, was one of the California forty-niners, and from the period of early settlement until the time of his death was prominent in the agricultural and public life of San Joaquin county. In business he was an excellent and sagacious manager, and in the various affairs of social and community nature he always manifested a large degree of public spirit and showed himself capable of the highest American citizenship.
Mrs. Smyth was born in county Derry, Ireland, November 27, 1833. She was reared and remained in her native land until her marriage with Mr. Smyth, which occurred January 3, 1860. He was born in county Antrim, Ireland, on February 9, 1822, and had gone from his native land to America during the forties. He was engaged for a time in California in gold mining, but in 1851 came to San Joaquin county and settled on the ranch which has ever since been the family home. He was one of the very first to engage in agricultural pursuits in his part of the county, and throughout life was honored for his early identification with the county as well as for the worthy success that he won during his career. He was a member of the San Joaquin Society of California Pioneers, and in politics was a Democrat. Previous to coming to California he had resided for several years at Glaveston, Texas. He was a veteran of the Mexican war, in which he served as a first lieutenant in the American army. He was a member of the Presbyterian church in Stockton, and wherever known he commanded the respect and confidence of his associates.
In the same year of their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Smyth came to San Joaquin county, and Mrs. Smyth has resided on the ranch and homestead from that year to this. Of the children born to them there are six living at the present writing, as follows: Mary M., Annie E., Carrie M., Herbert, Helen, and Dr. J. Hudson Smyth, who is a prominent medical practitioner at Tesla, California. Mrs. Smyth is a member of the First Presbyterian church at Stockton, and also identified with the Ladies' Auxiliary of the San Joaquin Society of California Pioneers. The Smyth name is a highly honored one in this part of California, and its bearers have proved themselves worthy of esteem in every relation of life.
Source: History of the New California Its Resources and People, Volume II
The Lewis Publishing Company - 1905
Edited by Leigh H. Irvine
Return to California AHGP home page
Return to Sacramento County AHGP home page